PDA

View Full Version : Planer Advice

Trey Isbell
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
I looking at buying a planer, just wanting to upgrade from my benchtop that didnt work that well to start with. I dont want to spend a fortune but I do want something a little more industrial. I would like to spend about 600 dollars. Want is the best bang for your buck. What about the grizzly 15 inch.

Neal Clayton
09-16-2008, 1:08 AM
i would first check your local craigslist and ebay ads. there is a vast difference between sub 1000 dollar planers and 2500+ dollar planers, mainly due to spiral style blades. if you can find a used one in good shape that'd be your best bet considering your budget.

David Tiell
09-16-2008, 6:54 AM
I agree with Neal. Use a little patience and you can find deals. I just recently got a like new 16" Jet planer for $500 off craigslist. They are out there, you just gotta look.

Peter Quinn
09-16-2008, 7:27 PM
I agree with Neal. Use a little patience and you can find deals. I just recently got a like new 16" Jet planer for $500 off craigslist. They are out there, you just gotta look.

And look, and look, and look, and look......:eek:

Paid off for me. About two years ago I got a Delta 15" cast iron planer for about $325 from an EBAY auction, local pick up only type thing. Took a little TLC and adjustment, but no major repairs, came with three sets of good knives. I see similar things from time to time on CL. Best planer for $600 to upgrade a bench top? Used market.

Oh, and that used old Delta I got will work circles around any bench top, quite a difference in performance and speed. Somewhat quieter too, and heavier!:eek:

Neal Clayton
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
while you're at it, auctions too. with the current housing bust there are probably alot of cabinet/millwork shops giving up the ghost. that's how i wound up with my powermatic 66.

Robert Chapman
09-17-2008, 8:38 AM
If your budget will allow it I would suggest that you look for a planer with a helical cutter head. These heads give very smooth cuts and require very little maintenance.

Jeffrey M Jones
09-17-2008, 1:49 PM
I just got a grizzly 15 in G0453 and I love it. I cannot believe that there is that much machine for the money. Identical to the Jet that is at the local store. I got it with hss blades, not the helical head, and it does a great job. Perfect cuts everytime. started to pullup some grain after running a lot of maple through but nothing the tormek didnt take care of in a few hours.

Eric DeSilva
09-17-2008, 2:26 PM
+1 on shopping craigslist for deals. I was patient--sort of--and found a combo deal, 20" G1033 planer and 8" G0500 jointer in good condition for $750. They are older, had to clean up a few tiny rust spots, and the magnetic switch on the planer had a busted tab, but both work great... In terms of true confessions, however, the planer is so doggone heavy its in my garage instead of my basement shop and gets used only when I'm doing a lot of surfacing... Generally I still rely on my ridgid lunchbox planer for most stuff.