PDA

View Full Version : Old Wooden Brace Chucks, How do they work?

Johnny Kleso
09-15-2008, 10:45 PM
I am thinking of making a few wooden braces they type with brass sides and a hex brass check..

I have never seen one of these first hand and was hoping someone could tell me how the chucks work...

I see a lot has a button on one side and I can only guess the button push the bit out of the tapered wood??

I have about 6 pieces of 1 1/4" hex brass and see someone said 1 1/8" brass hex stock would work great for making one..

I just trying to figuer out how the check and button work at this time..

Thanks in advance..

Larry Williams
09-15-2008, 11:50 PM
There's a groove cut in the tapered square tang and the button lifts a spring holding a locking piece that fits in the groove. The groove and locking piece (usually just the end of a spring bent at 90º) run at right angles to the length of the bit for the brace. These weren't standardized in old braces and the size and location of the locking piece vary from brace to brace. Old grooved bits usually don't lock properly in a brace without some modification to the groove, often a new groove is necessary.

David Turner
09-16-2008, 7:18 AM
Johnny:

I have plans for a wooden brace I would be happy to send to you for copying if you would return them. Ping me off line with your address if interested.

David Turner

Stephen Shepherd
09-16-2008, 8:09 AM
Larry pointed out how they work. Most of the originals have cast brass chucks which are further machined to fit on the wooden handle. Also these braces were issued with bits that had notches that match.

The spring catch is in different places on different braces and bits, so finding an old bit that actually fits is rare. Also some of these had pewter or lead lined square tapered holes in the end of the brass chuck. This would help hold bits by friction if the catch doesn't catch.

Stephen