PDA

View Full Version : Sanding

Tom Bucanan
09-15-2008, 8:49 PM
I have a quick question for those out there that use VinceWood'NWonders sanding materials. I have heard great things about his discs and thought that I would give them a try. But, I would also like to get a few 'innerface' pads. Which soft innerface pad is closest to the hardness of the Craftsupplies 'soft hook-and-loop backing pad?' I hope this question makes sense and I know that there are probably only a few out there that can answer it because they must have tried both Vince's soft and Craftsupplies soft pads.

Any ideas???

Reed Gray
09-16-2008, 1:55 AM
I think the soft ones from Craft Supplies are too soft. Vince does have a medium pad, and firm pads which are micro hook, but his discs will work on any hook type pad. I have been experimenting with some pads, and need to make some from some cast off scraps from a place that sells floor pads. Neoprene, and meduim weight/firmness. The soft ones are great for the fine grits from 220 and up, but very slow for the coarser grits. A 120 grit disc on a firm pad cuts better than an 80 grit disc on a soft pad. You can talk to Vince about this also, he is very knowlegable about it. One recomendation I took from him, and really like is to turn my drill speed down to 600 rpm and less than that for the fine grit discs. It really does work better, and my drill lasted for about 450 bowls before needing new bearings where at high speed, it would go about 350.
robo hippy

Frank Kobilsek
09-16-2008, 9:26 AM
Tom

Get both of Vince's firm pads. The pad that matches the dia of the disc is good for sand outside of a bowl and right up to details. The other is rouded of and lets the disc wrap over the edge is good for inside bowl sanding.

I am having good luck with Vince's products. HIs disc don't not de-laminate when you do stupid stuff like getting them too hot
Frank

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-16-2008, 11:22 AM
you might look at his radius'ed pads. I prefer them for 80 /150 grit then I switch to med pads for 150/220 and go soft for the 220+

Matt Hutchinson
09-16-2008, 6:49 PM
I thought I'd post just to give info on a related subject. I haven't used both pads, but I have been using Vince's discs. Can't beat the price. I use a normal 3" hook and loop disc holder for some things, and use a 2" and 3" power lock system for some things. So I haven't worried too much about different 'softnesses'. It's either hard but flexible (power lock) or the softness provided by the premium disc holder from Craft Supplies.

Hutch

P.S. Also, I often just hold the 3" padded disc holder in my hand, not powered by a drill.