PDA

View Full Version : A few pens

John Miliunas
05-10-2004, 9:43 PM
After moving some stuff around, I finally found my little lathe again! Yipeeee! I managed to spin out three pens. No, these aren't for FPP, though I did get the balance of the blanks cut and drilled for my next shipment. (Long overdue! :( ) Anyhow, the three are, from the left, Olivewood from Bethlehem, deer antler in the middle and Lace Sheoak on the right. I was gifted the Olivewood and Lace from a fellow SMC'er. What absolutely extraordinary woods to work with! :) The picture just doesn't do either of the woods justice! All the pens were turned, scrubbed down with 320, CA'd, scrubbed again to 320 then the whole scale of Micro-Mesh up to 15K, followed by several coats of Myland's. The two wood pens also got the burn-in treatment on the grooves with guitar string. These three are spoken for, but I WILL get the rest of the FP pens done and shipped, post-haste. Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Jim Becker
05-10-2004, 9:47 PM
Very nice, John. The two wooden pens have oustanding figure, too.

Dick Parr
05-10-2004, 10:11 PM
They look Great John!

Dean Baumgartner
05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Great looking pens John. The wood pens do have very nice figure but there's something about the deer antler pen that I really like.

Dean

John Miliunas
05-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Great looking pens John. The wood pens do have very nice figure but there's something about the deer antler pen that I really like.

Dean

Thanks gentlemen! :) Dean, the antler one is really kinda' neat, but not just because it is what it is. By that, I mean, the top portion looks quite different from the bottom. In reality, both halves came off the exact same tine! The bottom barrel part was closest to the stump, while the upper half, was an inch to 1-1/2" further up from there. The stuff is kinda' neat to work with, but you have to get past the smell! :( Thanks again! :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
05-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks gentlemen! :) Dean, the antler one is really kinda' neat, but not just because it is what it is. By that, I mean, the top portion looks quite different from the bottom. In reality, both halves came off the exact same tine! The bottom barrel part was closest to the stump, while the upper half, was an inch to 1-1/2" further up from there. The stuff is kinda' neat to work with, but you have to get past the smell! :( Thanks again! :cool:

As long as it doesn't smell like chicken.

Dale Thompson
05-10-2004, 11:21 PM
Hey Spring!
What a showoff!! Those pens are absolutely GEORGEOUS! Nice work for a cheesehead! When I look at the antler pen, I think of the Bible story where Jesus fed the "multitudes" with three fish and a loaf of bread. I sent you a couple inches of antler and you make a whole "collection" of pens from it. I think that you have scared me into going back to church! :)

Great work, bud! :D :D

Dale T.

Mark Singer
05-10-2004, 11:31 PM
John,
I want to start writing....drawing...I want to use those pens! Beautiful work .....John I am not surprised. I am telling the "New Guy" he doesn't even need to think about entering your shop! You have things under control. I will design a home...a shop I will write until there is no more ink....till we run out of paper ...til I run out of words...soon

John Miliunas
05-10-2004, 11:56 PM
Muchos gracias, again! You guys are too kind. The beauty is simply that which is within each of the materials. :) I just kinda' helped put a spotlight on it. :cool:

Jim Ketron
05-11-2004, 12:15 AM
Nice pens John !!

How's the horn cut compared to the wood?
Jim

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 12:25 AM
John,
I want to start writing....drawing...I want to use those pens! Beautiful work .....John I am not surprised. I am telling the "New Guy" he doesn't even need to think about entering your shop! You have things under control. I will design a home...a shop I will write until there is no more ink....till we run out of paper ...til I run out of words...soon
What did he say:confused: Nice work John!

Waymon Campbell
05-11-2004, 7:41 AM
John - The pens are gorgeous. Got to love that figure!

John Miliunas
05-11-2004, 7:44 AM

Tyler, guess that maybe you missed a previous thread started by Mark. Find the one on the "New guy" and I think you'll get a better handle on what he's saying. :)

Jim, it's actually a lot like working w/Corian! A bit easier to "hog" off the bulk of material (I use a good-sized gouge for that), but then a sharp skew takes care of the final shaping and smoothing. :cool:

Dave Richards
05-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Those pens are quite lovely, John. Keep up the good work.

Dale Thompson
05-11-2004, 9:29 PM

Tyler,
Don't worry about Mark. In the "New Guy" post, I learned that he is a futuristic philosopher who is trying to find his niche somewhere between Sir David Hume and John Stuart Mill. :) He worketh wonders with phrases beyond the comprehension of us poor mortals. Our great-great grandchildren, however, will surely benefit from his wisdom and obviate the present state of our mental deficiencies. :) :)

However, Tyler, be nice to Mark. He lives in Laguna Beach where even folks on the "wrong side of the tracks" are mega multi-millionaires. :cool: His Air Force of Gulfstreams may be redirected to wreak havoc on anyone whom he considers to be "subversive". :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dale T.

Mark Singer
05-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Dale,
Hi wern't those nice pens John constructed....makes a feller want to w... w... write a bit do... me...and I don' even wite that goooo....!