PDA

View Full Version : patterns

Lee Chadwick
09-15-2008, 6:29 PM
I am building a new mantle for my fireplace out of oak. For the surround I am looking to carve an elk scene out of walnut to place in the surround. Anyone know where I can find some different elk or wildlife scene patterns? I am not good enough at free handing something that complex

Thanks
Lee

Shari Loveless
09-16-2008, 12:40 AM
Lee,
You might take a look at carvingpatterns.com. I think they have some mantle patterns.
S

Lee Chadwick
09-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks Shari. I stopped by the Woodcraft store yesterday and they had a book full of scenes. I may actually change that scene from elk to a scene with four wolves surrounding a moose. Probably take me 3 years to complete it though:D

Chuck Nickerson
09-17-2008, 1:08 PM
You can also look for the patterns leather toolers use. What they do is equivalent to low-relief carving, so the patterns work quite well.

Lee Chadwick
09-17-2008, 3:08 PM
Great idea Chuck, I appreciate that

Vic Castello
09-29-2008, 8:29 AM
Lee,
You might take a look at carvingpatterns.com. I think they have some mantle patterns.
S

I have used this service. It is operated by Lora Irish who has written many books, and who has created thousands of patterns. What is great about his site is that you can inexpensively download hundreds of patterns to print at home. I recently was looking for clock patterns, and she offered about a dozen to choose from, and I downloaded them for about $8. The downloading process may take a while to get the hang of, but if you call there...Lora usually answers the phone herself, and she will patiently walk you through the process. Well worth looking into.

Lee Chadwick
09-29-2008, 4:00 PM
Thank you Elmo. I will look into it