PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

Matt Day
09-15-2008, 4:57 PM
I bought my lathe a few months ago but just started to play with it due to some other projects and life getting in the way. At any rate, I'm starting small and enjoying it; it's very different from flat work!

My simple question is about tool choice and technique. I need to turn a 1/2" diameter dowel on the end of a piece to insert into a 1/2" hole in another piece. The dowel needs to be about 3/4" long, and the end of the dowel will be exposed so I'd like a tight joint. What's the best way to go making a consistent diameter dowel to make a tight fitting joint?

I've tried using my diamond parting tool since it has a flat face, but I doubt this is the best way.

I have basic set of Benjamin's Best lathe tools.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Minto
09-15-2008, 8:20 PM
welcome to the turning thing. i'm fairly new, too, but the two things that immediately come to my mind are a good set of calipers, and a skew gouge (which can be a tricky tool for a new turner to use well) - that should make a nice, flat surface on the 'tenon' - post a photo or two when you're done. mike

Curt Fuller
09-15-2008, 9:05 PM
Matt, you can use a smaller, 1/2" or smaller skew or a square ended scraper. Anything with a straight cutting surface will help you get a consistent diameter on your dowel or tenon. As for measuring, I use a 1/2" open wrench. It's pretty close to exactly 1/2", maybe slightly larger for a good tight fit and it has a wide surface so you can check the consitency of the diameter. In fact for fitting most things like that I drill with a forstner bit and use the corresponding end wrench for the tenon. Remember when turning a dowel or tenon that it takes just a smidgeon of a cut to make it too small. Sometimes sanding is all it takes.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Matt,

Welcome to the Vortex!

You could use a parting tool, a square end scraper or a skew.

If you use the parting tool, make sure it is sharp and use a peeling cut. Get the end of the dowel turned to the correct diameter and the work your way back to 3/4" length.

Richard Madison
09-16-2008, 12:16 AM
Matt,
Ken beat me toit. Was going to say- turn about 1/8" to the correct size and then turn the additional length needed. If you get the first 1/8" a bit too small, you can just turn it off and try again. Careful not to make it too tight, as wood movement could cause the piece with the 1/2" hole to split.