PDA

View Full Version : Sofa Table Design

Waymon Campbell
05-10-2004, 9:31 PM
I have a small commission to build a sofa type table for our church. It will be in the foyer and will have the Sunday programs on it for folks to pick up on the way to the sanctuary. I was thinking about mahogany legs and apron and possibly a walnut burl veneer top, perhaps accented with some rosewood or maybe maple. Anyone have suggestions or care to share photos of their tables? Also, if there is such a thing, what is a standard size for a sofa table?

Thanks...

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Waymon
I checked into the sizes about a year ago and came to the conclusion.
There are no strict sizes for a sofa - hall - shooting table.
If you are standing - pouring drinks = 36 inches high.
If you are sitting and reaching around to get the new June/July issue of WOOD magazine then about 29 inches high.
If you are throwing your keys at it in the hallway then about 32 inches high.
So you have to determine where it will be used and the same for the wide (depth).
I have seen them anywhere from 12 inches wide (deep) to 18 inches deep.
Now length - again it is a personal call - anywhere from 28 inches to 48 inches.
Now I know that you are cussing me out right now - but that's the way it goes.
Make it to fit you situation.
Daniel - "the nonconformist". :D

Wes Bischel
05-11-2004, 2:32 PM
Waymon,

As far as the wood to use and design details, look around the space - what's being used for the other furniture and built-ins? What are the architectural details? Is the wood work painted or natural? Typically I have tried to make items that harmonize with the surroundings - unless it is to be the centerpiece of the space. Then it needs to have a strong visual cue that "this is where your attention is to be focused" Otherwise it should be a secondary or tertiary visual element in the space.

Just my two cents.

Wes

Earl Kelly
05-11-2004, 2:39 PM
A veneered top with accent and solid surround, makes for a nice design. I think Wes is correct, I would look at the design and trim in the area the piece will go and make sure what you build will complement the architecture.

Todd Burch
05-11-2004, 5:12 PM
Waymon, look at the space where it will be in service. If it will be moved frequently, a plinth base just off the ground with concealed casters might be a good idea.

I know that inconspicuous storage space is a valued asset at my church, so maybe a buffet style table (cabinet doors on bottom) would be a better choice than a typical, open-based, open-shelf sofa table. That way, extra bulletins, future bulletins or "event" flyers, etc., could be stored there as well.

It will probably get a floral arangement of some sort too set upon it, so maybe an Edwardian-style upside-down "U" shaped shelf in the middle at the back of the tabletop would be a good addition. That way, flowers could be set there and not take up work-space.

Tim Sproul
05-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Waymon,

From your rich materials, are you catholic? I would consider the traditions of your sect....some protestants are more "shaker" and would not find an ornate table fitting....I have no idea what your religion is...this is just something to keep in mind.

Donnie Raines
05-12-2004, 9:26 AM
My first reaction was of that of the others: make sure it fits in with the other decor. I made a similar project last year for our church and I looked around and all I seen was oak. So i made it in oak, that way it just blneded in. I did use curly oak for the top however....had to add a little spice to it.. ;)

Donnie Raines

Waymon Campbell
05-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Waymon,

From your rich materials, are you catholic?

Southern Baptist.

I want the table to be more than just a "run of the mill table", thus the various wood possibilities. We have some maple sitting benches in close proximity to where the table will be. They are stained a dark walnut color, so I may use walnut for the legs and apron. I think I will use either walnut or maple burl veneer for the top.

Any one have a good resource for burl veneers?

Thanks for all the feedback...

Doug Littlejohn
05-12-2004, 4:07 PM
Try Ebay for your veneers for the top. I've had good luck there and purchased several good burl veneers. Also, you can look into the more heavily figured veneers, curly, tiger, quilted, crotch, etc. The sellers almost always include pictures of what you're buying so not only do you know what you're getting, you can use it to see what looks good to you.

Please show it to us when you've completed it.

Arvin Brown
05-13-2004, 1:01 PM
What about a lighter color inlay to seperate the burl from the rosewood edging. I think that it would show off the two different woods much better. Rockler also has pretty nice veneers.