PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 5 1/2, 2 1/4" blades

John Dykes
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I have two 5 1/2 planes (one Bailey, one Bedrock) that I'm nearly finished cleaning up. They both have 2 1/4" blades... Ron Hock makes that size in carbon steel, and LN has the A2 version - so I'll grab two and go.

My question is this - though I don't mind using the original chipbreakers, I would prefer a heavier aftermarket version. Any thoughts on where to get a 2 1/4" chipbreaker? Doubt they exist, but thought I'd ask.

Guess I could get a 2 3/8" and grind it down (though I'd be a bit tentative about that approach.).

- jbd in Denver

Tristan Raymond
09-15-2008, 3:00 PM
I've replaced the blades on my newer (1930s as I recall) Stanley planes with Hock irons and chip breakers, but found the older (type 11) Stanley blade on my 5 1/2 to be fine. I use mine with a cambered edge for fast stock removal and am very happy with it. I guess if I were you I'd try the original blades first. The 2.25" blades are from a time when the blades were pretty good, you might wind up saving yourself some money. If you do decide to go with replacement blades try contacting Ron Hock and ask his advise, he's a nice guy and might be able to help you out.

Joel Goodman
09-15-2008, 4:20 PM
I would contact LN about making you a 2 1/4" 1/8th inch thick blade -- I think they had some matertial. If your plane can take it the thicker blade is great. Also with the thicker blade you may not need/want the thicker chipbreaker. I called them about a 1/8" for a #7 a few months ago (as their 2 3/8th is .140) and they mentioned some 2 1/4" stock. I ended up with a 2 3/8" by a scant 1/8 from TWW which works great.

Johnny Kleso
09-15-2008, 4:35 PM
You can buy a 2 3/8" model and grind and/or file off 1/16" off each side...