PDA

View Full Version : sub-Level Family Room Storm Water Leak

Mike Goetzke
09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
My house is about 25 years old. About 15 years ago we tore down the rough cedar paneling in our family room (tri-level house, this area of the house is about 3 to 4' below grade) and replaced it with drywall. There are two spots where the builder "V'ed" out a foundation crack. At the floor slab they dug a small trench/depression. Leading to the depression is a tube that is buried in the sub-floor. I assume the tube goes to my storm drainage - sump pump because running water is drained through the tube.

About a year ago and last Saturday I had some standing water on the floor. The one depression/drain had clogged to a point it couldn't handle the volume of water (very heavy rain last two days). I tore out some drywall and use a shop vac to suck on the drain hose and it cleared up. First time I had to use a wire to dislodge some small rocks - maybe concrete that was restrictiing the flow.

This is starting to be an expensive problem. Last time I had the problem I asked a friend in the construction business if I should try to seal the crack with something like hydraulic cement. He said not to that the two pockets for drainage are common. I have the opinion I should try to seal the cracks???

Any help welcome.

Thanks,

Mike

Lee Schierer
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
My experience is extremely limited, but many inside waterproblems are caused by poor conditions outside. Water runs down hill so anything you can do outside to drain the water away from the affected wall the less you will have to contend with inside. If you don't have gutters and downspouts, consider adding them as the water from the roof dropping close to the house makes the drainage problem worse. Applying sealing materials to the inside of the wall will merely divert the water to some other point.

I would seek professional help for the water inside once you have taken care of the outside. However; bear in mind some will tell you what you need that is more in the interest of the business they are in than in your interest, so get several opinions.