PDA

View Full Version : Jumping in the pool

Tor Amundson
09-15-2008, 3:49 AM
Greetings! Long time lurker, recent account-sign-upper, first time poster.

I've been debating getting a laser for my shop for the last two years. During that time I've done a lot of reading here on these forums as Google kept pointing me this way whenever I'd do research. Without even owning a unit yet I've learned quite a lot from all of you. About a week and a half ago I finally did the deed and ordered a ULS VLS4.60 @ 60w through my area's dealer (Engravers Solution). It was the best size/power vs. budget I could get. It won't ship until this Friday and will then take a few days to show up. Waiting is the hardest part!

In my daily life I'm yet another Silicon Valley network guy, slaving away in a sea of endless cubicles (and the occasional data center). But my secret identity comes out on nights and weekends, when I run my own small business. My buddy and I do an eclectic mix of event photography, large-format and fine art printing, metalworking (milling/cutting) and electronics prototyping. We're what you call that 'maker' type, hacking together projects and making a business out of it all. This laser will be used to help us mask circuit boards, etch control panels, cut acrylic stands, close-trim vinyl stickers from the big printer and a million other little experiments. As we fill a need in our local area for basic engraving services as well (our digital printing clients keep asking us for it), it should be a profit maker too.

As our shop is full of metal milling gear and the occasional cloud of sawdust, the laser will be living at home in the garage (like the big digital printers do). We got the air compressor/dryer all set up and the vent/blower gets installed on Tuesday. I just spent this weekend building a computer to run the laser and getting as much software pre-installed as I can. Now I just have to wait out another week for the dang thing to arrive!

Thank you all for all the hints, tips and engraving adventures you've posted. It's been a great education for me. Once I learn enough to know what I'm doing I'll gladly add in. Until then, if anybody needs network help or wants to trade info about digital printing stuff, feel free to send email or a private-message here on the board.

Grr! Why can't the machine be here already? :)

Mike Null
09-15-2008, 6:58 AM
Tor

Welcome to SMC and congratulations on your purchase.

Belinda Barfield
09-15-2008, 7:25 AM
Welcome Tor! It sounds like you have some interesting applications already line up for the laser. I'm sure you will have a lot to contribute to the knowledge base here.
I really wish avatars were larger here, from what I can see yours looks pretty cool!