PDA

View Full Version : How to make a juice grove in a cutting board?

Radek Kowalski
09-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Hey everyone. I have asked a couple questions on HOW to before, the number of responses gave me some great ideas I have never even considered so here it is again.
How can I make a juice groove in a cutting board? I have a router, and a router table. My main problem is I fear destroying all the work with 1 wrong move. Thanks.

Paul Girouard
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Core box bit , plunge router , router fence attached to router, or, straight edge/ clamp guide.

http://www.toolstoday.com/images/PRODUCT/medium/4969.jpg

Brian Kent
09-15-2008, 12:41 AM
I echo Radek's question. How would you make the groove if it runs in a rectangle? Four operations with stops? A rectangular guide all the way around?

Paul Girouard
09-15-2008, 1:13 AM
A fence/ guide on the router base , rout to intersecting points , move router repeat again. Simple.

Harder IF the cutting board is round , easy if it's square or rectangular.

Thats why a plunge router is the right type of router for the job. Or outsource it to a shop with a CNC , break out your check book if thats the case.

Radek Kowalski
09-15-2008, 2:03 AM
Thanks everyone. So all I need to do is set up a box type thing around the boarder, then slowly lower my bit into the wood?

Rick Fisher
09-15-2008, 2:51 AM
Its one of those router jobs where you just take your time. Get good visibility and keep your arms comfortable. If you start to feel "strained" or like you not as in contol, stop and re-position.

That doesnt make sense, does it..

Keith Outten
09-15-2008, 6:13 AM
Make a routing template.

Use plywood or whatever material you have on hand. Your template can be either male or female based on your personal preferences. Use a guide bushing to ride against the template, the procedure is simple, quick and will provide excellent results.

A female template is the easiest to make, you can use double sided tape to adhere the template to your cutting board or use several clamps and move half of them as you route your way around the board. A female template is the easiest to use because it prevents you from overrunning the corners.

Tony Bilello
09-15-2008, 7:43 AM
and use a plunge router. This is a simple fast and accurate method. I use my brad nailer for lots of things and this would be one of them. Just nail some scraps to a work surface with the cutting board framed inside. I usually use my outfeed table from my table saw. You can brad nail into that plywood top for many many years before you will have to replace it.

Tony B

Jim Becker
09-15-2008, 8:42 AM
Make a routing template.

Bingo! For all the listed reasons.

Darryl Hazen
09-15-2008, 9:03 AM
And definitely practice on scrap pieces until you're comfortable with it before doing the final routing!!!!

Bill Huber
09-15-2008, 9:23 AM
You really have to watch it that you don't burn the wood, it really burns very easy. I have a plywood template that I double back tape to the top of the board and then use a guide on the router to cut mine. I make shallow cuts and keep moving and never slow down.

When I stated I was trying to go all the way around without taking the router out of the groove. Well then a light went off and I start at the far right corner and then make a pass to the near left corner and then lift the router out as I am moving. Turn the board 180 degrees and do it again, that was the only way I could cut the groove without a burn mark somewhere.

You can look at the last message in this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=66398&page=2

Good luck and we want to see one when you get it done.

Matt Day
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
As Bill said, be very careful of burning the wood by moving too slow or stalling/stopping! Otherwise you'll have a lot more sanding that you anticipated!

Lee Schierer
09-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Bingo! For all the listed reasons.

I agree,use a template attached with enough double sided tape to insure it won't move. Make two passes, holding the router guid collar tight to the template. The second pass should only remove about 1/32 or less material and should eliminate all burn marks as it will move along quite quickly. Don't let the bit stand in any place at anytime or you will have a burn mark to remove. Use a good quality bit, not a cheap one as they will have less tendancy to burn and will give you a cleaner cut.

Dan Gill
09-15-2008, 3:25 PM
Instead of double-stick tape, consider making a template with cleats that fit snugly over the board. That's how I rout Texas-shaped grooves in some of the cutting boards I make.

I use double-stick tape when I have to, but this setup is quicker and more secure.

Larry Copas
09-15-2008, 4:37 PM
Template held down with a couple of clamps. I like the little Bosch Colt with a custom base far better than any plunge router I have tried to date. Light and easy to control.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/5tucker/boards/f3a.jpg