PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Ike

Leigh Costello
09-14-2008, 11:46 PM
Have you ever had one of these days? Today was the home opener for the Rams and honey and daughter go every year. Honey was a bit worried about the tremendous rainfall, wondering if he should take our daughter out and risk life and limb for a Rams game. But, the rain had let up by 9:30 a.m. I assured him I would be fine. HA!

I had sent them off with a breakfast of bacon, scrambled eggs and blackberry pancakes. I was prepared to settle into the old laundry routine. Then the phone rang. dang...

Daughter just remembered the rain coming in around her bedroom window. So, while I have her on the phone, I check. Nope, dry to the touch. Drywall seemed okay. Then she mentioned the slappy sound during the wee hours of the morning. dang...

So I got off the phone because screaming in frustration seemed a bit too dramatic. Put on my mudders, and went to look outside. Man oh man oh man, the siding had been partially torn off the house. And it's still raining lightly so I thought I would wait till it was safe to use a ladder. And besides, why should I deal with this before I read the paper?

After a half hour I put my mudders back on, dragged out a ladder and re-assessed the situation. Doable, just snap it back in place, re-fasten and done. This only took an hour and it looked pretty good. Called a contractor friend and he stopped by on his way to in-laws and declare my repair "superb." So I gloated and returned to the laundry and some serious sofa coaching. The Rams still played the same so I went back outside.

We have an above ground swimming pool which we closed last week. So I thought I would go check it out. The cover appeared to be fine, but the water level seemed a bit high. The closer I got the more I realized the cover was not as fine as it appeared. There was a massive tear along a seam. And the pool had filled nicely with debris and such. dang...

So being on a roll I dug out the duct tape and prepared to remove the cover. Then I realized the tear was near one side if I was careful I could vacuum the pool with suction and drain to the appropriate level. So I skimmed and vacuumed and restored the cover with tape and all was well. This took another hour or two. The phone rings. Honey and daughter are on their way home.

So off I go to feed the critters then to make supper. Something is odd about the horse paddock. The empty horse paddock. With a small tree on the remains of a fence. dang...

Fortunately, the horse is 30 something and only likes to eat and meander. I found him grazing just a few yard away and led him back in and he stayed, which was good. The tree was quickly sawed and moved and the fence sort of repaired. The horse was fed and stabled.

Once back in the house, laundry and cooking commenced. The oven wouldn't light. dang...

Upon investigation, the ignitor was broke. But I have a stovetop that worked and a toaster oven. The jambalaya was bubbling and the brownies were in the toast oven. All was well. Honey and daughter come home, we ate supper, but the toaster oven is not my friend, so we had brownie toast ala mode for her birthday. Daughter packed and returned to college. Got ready for bed and honey asks, so what did you do today?

I love him, I really do. But, Ike, leave me alone!

Jim Becker
09-15-2008, 7:31 AM
Ya, I would say you had "one of THOSE days..."....

Belinda Barfield
09-15-2008, 7:35 AM
Darn, Leigh, what a day! I hope today is better for you. Does your honey realize how lucky he is to have such a "handywoman" around the house?

Leigh Costello
09-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks, my day was better today Belinda.
This evening I went to a church meeting trying to decide how best to fix what got damaged there. Way bigger problems than I can solve there, roof on the "old" hall, new floors in the "new" hall. I wrote a check to put in the fix it fund.
And to think last year we were -14" in rainfall, and this year well over 20" above average in rainfall. :eek: