PDA

View Full Version : need a Material recommendation

David Dustin
09-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I need to make some rectangular paddles for a guy and he would like me to make holes in them to hold a reflector or possible lase a laminate material to reveal a white layer.

The paddles are about 2"wide by 12" tall, thickness needs to be 1/8".

Is there a good inexpensive material ya'll could recommend?
Thanks,
David

Margaret Turco
09-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Are these paddles going to be used, or just looked at? There are polyester films available; one source is http://www.grafixplastics.com/holografix.asp . I don't know if they are laserable or not, but you might be able to just cut the right shape and stick them in place. How many are you making? You could buy a punch the right size from Wagner Die Supply and cut them with an arbor press or a piece of wood and a mallet....

David Dustin
09-15-2008, 7:21 AM
The paddles will be used out in the weather so I need them to be sturdy.

Thanks,
David

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2008, 7:37 AM
David, I don't fully understand the application, but I can tell you a product I have made signs from, but it's thicker than 1/8". It's called "Scooterboard" and it has a white, hard surface on each side, almost like a formica. You can cut through it on the laser and it stands up outside. I've had some signs outside for about a year now and they still look like new.

You could easily vector cut the shape and then the hole for the reflector.

It may not be the right material for your application, but it's possible it'll do what you're wanting to do.

Search for Scooterboard and you'll find it. I think it's about $4-5 a 24" x 18" piece, if I recall correctly. I haven't used it lately, so I can't be certain of that price (just haven't had signs like that ordered lately).

Dan Hintz
09-15-2008, 8:28 AM
Are these for directing (air) traffic?