PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! that was close

Paul Downes
05-10-2004, 5:13 PM
Saturday at around 4:05am our 4' plus diameter walnut tree took a direct hit from a lightening bolt. The bolt traveled down the trunk until it got even with the pole barn eave and then jumped to the barn. All the breakers in the barn were tripped and I trembled at the thought of all my woodworking machines that were plugged in.Fortunatly all seem o.k. The bolt then jumped to the house and melted the phone jack on the outside. The moble phone was toast, as well as the modem for the computer. I sent the wife out for a corded phone and the phone company did a temporary fix. The wife found a new cordless on clearance so we hooked that up as well. Sunday evening we got nailed again!!! Brand new cordless is toast! Also one of my computer geek friends had loaned me a modem, and how much you want to bet it's in modem heven as well. I don't get it. I went to church like a good Christian. My friends are talking that maybe I should be finding out from the Old Man just what it is that I have been doing wrong. The funny thing is, on Sunday a friend dropped off a few walnut limbs for me to turn bowls with as my walnut stock was at 0. I hope the old tree doesn't die, but if it should, I'll have lots of wood to mess with.

Tyler Howell
05-10-2004, 6:40 PM
Paul, Going to church isn't enough you have to ...............
No instructions on living from this kid, but keep and eye on your electronics. With that kind of attention from up above they could be mortally wounded. We have seen stuff well protected limp along for days and than keal over dead. Good luck!

Jason Roehl
05-10-2004, 6:47 PM
I see only one solution here. I will have to come pick up your wwing equipment and put it in storage for you until you get things straight with the Big Guy and his lightning bolt tirades of late. :D

Perhaps installing lightning rods may help? (I normally believe that they ATTRACT more frequent lightning strikes, but in your case you seem to be prone, so it may be best to redirect the strikes as much as possible).

Dennis Peacock
05-10-2004, 7:48 PM
I hear ya Paul....Being here in Arkansas and the storms that brew in Oklahoma and head our way is a real attention getter. When weather is even threatening here, I go in the shop and unplug EVERYTHING I can find that has a plug on it. I can't afford to replace shop equipment....now my computer? It's old and really needs replacing.....but...that takes money too.

I feel your pain. :(

Todd Burch
05-10-2004, 8:29 PM
Paul, following Jason's suggestion, perhaps buy a lightning rod setup for your least favorite neighbor?

Ken Garlock
05-10-2004, 8:35 PM
Glad to hear that nothing too expensive was damaged, but still it gives you an uneasy feeling.

Lightning rods are not there to absorb the lightning strike, but rather to discharge the atmosphere in the near vicinity of the rod. They create a good ground return for the electrical charge before it can build to a level high enough to cause a bolt. At least, that is what I have heard. In a real strike, the lightning rod would be of little value since lightning does not like to turn corners. If you look at nearly every lightning rod installation, there is a 90 degree bend in the wire braid as it comes off the roof and down the side of the building. Are they worth the money - depends on who you talk to....

Jason Roehl
05-10-2004, 8:55 PM
Paul, following Jason's suggestion, perhaps buy a lightning rod setup for your least favorite neighbor?
Oh, Todd, you devil. :D

Tyler Howell
05-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Lightening will follow water lines into your house from blocks away. Also barried cable cable TV, phone and electric wires. Follow the rules. take precautions and pray for mercy.:rolleyes:

Arvin Brown
05-11-2004, 7:57 AM
About five years ago I had a bolt come down a large oak tree and then jump to my deck - split one of the verticle 6x6 posts down the middle! Lost the burglar system, computer, TV, and intercom system in the house!

Dan Mages
05-12-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your house. One thing I want to reccomend is getting a circuit pannel surge protector. They cost around $30-$40 and will provide a lot of protection for the house.

Dan

Paul Downes
05-12-2004, 3:49 PM
Well Dan, It just so happens that I am a month or two away from upgrading the home electrical service to 200 amps. At that time I think I will take your suggestion and put in that surge protector. I know that they don't always work because lightening does odd things at times, but another layer of protection is a good thing. I have an apc battery backup on my computer and it has stoped both strikes from doing anything to the computer. I had the modem wired direct and it is toast.
One of my co-workers also got hit and had several breakers in the main panel melted. Also it melted some wiring in the wall. Lucky his house wasn't set on fire. My bosses neighbor also took a strike to the house last week. The bolt stripped a column of faceing brick off the house from the eave to the ground.

Dan Mages
05-12-2004, 4:12 PM
Well Dan, It just so happens that I am a month or two away from upgrading the home electrical service to 200 amps. At that time I think I will take your suggestion and put in that surge protector. I know that they don't always work because lightening does odd things at times, but another layer of protection is a good thing. I have an apc battery backup on my computer and it has stoped both strikes from doing anything to the computer. I had the modem wired direct and it is toast.
One of my co-workers also got hit and had several breakers in the main panel melted. Also it melted some wiring in the wall. Lucky his house wasn't set on fire. My bosses neighbor also took a strike to the house last week. The bolt stripped a column of faceing brick off the house from the eave to the ground.
Paul. If you want to invest some good money ($300-500), you can get surge arrestors that take in up to 250,000 joules. They are designed for direct strikes to antenna towers. That will make an interesting conversation piece with your building inspector!!

Paul Downes
05-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Mercy is good! I figure if the Old Man wants to end my puny life He will do so in his timeing. A good wake up call causes one to put his hand back to the plow, and quit shirking directions and duties! Soooo it's back to the knees diligently offering up supplications and prayers for the many needs.

Bart Leetch
05-13-2004, 12:44 AM
President Washington's place at Mt Vernon has lightening rods in the trees to protect them & they a some of the oldest trees in the country.

Just something to think about.

Maybe put a lightening rod in the tree & run a ground wire down to a ground rod in the ground.