PDA

View Full Version : Be glad you don't live in Taiwan

David Freed
09-14-2008, 7:06 PM
I just saw on the news that a typhoon is crawling over Taiwan. Not only are they having to deal with 130 mph sustained winds, some areas have received 4 FEET of rain. They are expecting another 2 FEET on top of that. We had a "once in a hundred years" flood last spring with 1 foot of rain. I can barely imagine that much snow, let alone rain.

Eric Larsen
09-14-2008, 8:42 PM
LOML is from Taiwan.

Trust me, they're used to it. In addition, it's one of the most seismically active places on earth.

Storms, earthquakes, and a constant threat of invasion from the PRC. Tough little country, I tell you....

-E

Craig D Peltier
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Third typhoon this year to hit. They say this one might come back an whack them again.

Jason Roehl
09-15-2008, 8:13 AM
I lived there for 3 years in the early '80s, as a child. We got there just a couple months after a major typhoon had blown through, and all the buildings at the American School I went to (TAS) had watermarks about 4-5' up the outside walls. Thankfully, there were no typhoons while we were there (we lived up a large hill anyway), but I do remember the frequent earthquakes. 6.0 was common...

Rich Stewart
09-16-2008, 11:39 AM
My wife is from Taiwan, also. She always gets a big laugh out of watching people rebuild with sticks again after being wiped out. Not that it is funny that somebody lost their house, but it seems people in hurricane zones would build out of something besides sticks. All the houses in Taiwan are concrete.