PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Book - Working Alone

Chet Kagel
09-14-2008, 4:48 PM
I just checked out an interesting book from my library titled "Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building" by John Carroll. It's a thin book - very quick read and has some excellent ideas for making simple jigs and fixtures to use on the jobsite for building houses and additions. He also explains some excellent methods for taking measurements and transferring them to the piece to be cut. Some very good ideas if you're doing any remodeling.

I'm planning on buying a copy from Amazon to keep and thought that other Creekers might find it to be helpful.

Bob Fraser
09-15-2008, 9:56 PM
I would second the vote to get this book, I found it around the time I was building my hot glass shop in a hundred year old general store, and was spending my time alone at this place restoring it. Even tips like hoisting a sheet of plywood with a clamp as the handle, saved me a lot of grief.

Rob Gurke
09-30-2008, 5:26 PM
I would also agree - this has been the most useful reference/instruction book I've used. Practical, well thought out, safe solutions to doing your work without an extra set of hands.

Jason White
09-30-2008, 5:59 PM
Yep, I have it. Great book! I built a shed (by myself) and am currently re-siding my entire house (also by myself). His tips for working solo are invaluable.

JW

I just checked out an interesting book from my library titled "Working Alone: Tips & Techniques for Solo Building" by John Carroll. It's a thin book - very quick read and has some excellent ideas for making simple jigs and fixtures to use on the jobsite for building houses and additions. He also explains some excellent methods for taking measurements and transferring them to the piece to be cut. Some very good ideas if you're doing any remodeling.

I'm planning on buying a copy from Amazon to keep and thought that other Creekers might find it to be helpful.