PDA

View Full Version : Holdfast Care

David Bodkin
09-14-2008, 3:34 PM
I've got some of the Gramarcy holdfasts (which work great) but am wondering what to do to keep them from rusting? I can oil or wax the "arm" but putting either of those on the leg keeps it from holding. So, is there some other way to keep rust spots from appearing on the holdfasts?

Thanks,
David

Brent Smith
09-14-2008, 4:50 PM
You might try Boeshield. Just don't buff it out.

Stephen Shepherd
09-14-2008, 5:14 PM
I live in the arid West, so rust isn't a problem for me. I am not sure how the Gramercy holdfasts are finished, but I think they are a black iron (or steel) finish.

Traditionally tools were finished 'bright' and this helped to prevent rust. If you are not interested in draw filing your hold fasts, I would suggest warming them up, giving them a coat of linseed oil, wiping off the excess and give them a couple of days to dry. When it is dry it won't interfere with the holding abilities, but it will mechanically wear off eventually.

Stephen

Jim Becker
09-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I've had mine for two years and done nothing to them...no rust in evidence that I can see.

Don C Peterson
09-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I'll second Jim's experience. I've had a pair for about two years, I've never put anything on them and I don't even see any discoloration, much less rust.

David Bodkin
09-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Hmm, must be the salt water humidity in the air down here. Mine are starting to show specs of rust.

Johnny Kleso
09-15-2008, 1:32 AM
I use WD-40 on all my tools..
I buy it by the gallon at Lowe's for $10 and put it in a spray bottle to apply it..

Just make sure to wipe them down with a clean rag before you contact any wood that will be finished...