PDA

View Full Version : Delta 1460

Terry Neumann
09-14-2008, 1:59 PM
I hope to buy the lathe this week. I plan to restore it before use. I would like some suggestions on turning tools. Can't afford to spend a fortune right now. Also sharpening. I have a 3450 rpm bench grinder with 6x3/4 wheels. What would be a good choice for a wheel or is the grinder too fast? Also, If I want to use the lathe to turn a bowl on the outside of the headstock, what type of chuck or baseplate would be recommended for this lathe. One last question for now. Is there a specific tool rest for outside turning that attaches to the lathe or do you have to use a free standing one?

Thanks,
Terry

Eugene Malone
09-14-2008, 3:41 PM
Terry, I have just posted a welcome to the forum message to you . On my visit I saw that you had not recieved as I thought a welcome to the Creek. If you did as I'm sure you would you now have another, As can be seen by this we Irish are slow but we always get there. As regards the lathe I know nothing at all about them so happy hunting. REgards Eugene....

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2008, 7:21 PM
Terry not sure about the lathe. Looks me like you will have to find out what the outboard spindle is. 3/4" X 16 tpi or 1" X 8 tpi, etc. Then decide what chuck you might want. I don't think there is a attachment to turn outboard so I would think a floor mounted rest would be in order. I think that is a 12" inboard so you could turn up to a 12" bowl without the need to turn outside the lathe. When I started out I got my first set of turning tools from PSI (Penn State Industries). They aren't expensive but I find I keep going back to them. They are decent tools and have served me well even though I have hundreds of dollars in top of the line tools. As for the grinder you can get by with the 6" but would recommend the 8" slow speed that Woodcraft sells with the wolverine jig for sharpening. Good setup and doesn't cost a fortune either. Here is the first set of gouges I got and still use all of them. Also here is a decent chuck that I think would go well with your unit. Still use mine a lot on my midi Rikon lathe.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html