PDA

View Full Version : Radial arm saw for fiber cement?

Jason White
09-14-2008, 1:57 PM
Anybody here ever use a radial arm saw for cutting fiber cement siding? If so, how did it work for you? I'm thinking I can get a used one for cheap and just trash it when I'm done.

JW

Brian Backner
09-14-2008, 2:46 PM
Hi Jason,

No reason it shouldn't work. There are several fiber cement blades on the market, but only 7-7.25" diameter ones meant for hand held circular saws AFAIK. Make sure that the arbors match up and that you have enough depth of cut for whatever you are cutting (there are fiber cement trim boards up to a full 1" thick). Also make sure that the saw carriage can be lowered enough for the blade to reach the table - most RAS's you are likely to find will have 10" blades and the travel may stop well short of allowing a 7" blade to touch the table!

It's funny. I bought the cheapest circular saw the orange box had to cut the cement boards to side my house - figured I'd just burn it up with all the abrasive dust, toss it and buy new one(s) as needed to finish the job. Well, that was eight years ago and the thing simply won't die! It's not nearly as powerful and my SK model 77, but it still gets the job done. I reach for it anytime I need to cut old ratty wood or something with nails in it, etc.

You may end up with an "extra" RAS on your hands!

Brian
Near Gillette Stadium

Jim O'Dell
09-14-2008, 2:52 PM
I'd stick with the circular saw and the special blade. A cheap circular saw if you don't already have one should be cheaper than a RAS you could find unless it's free. I did kill my first Craftsman RAS cutting Pavestone retaining wall block with a masonry blade. Too much fine dust wrecked the motor and bearings. In fact, cutting the cement fiberboard for my shop with the old Craftsman circular saw may be what killed it!! Jim.

Jason White
09-14-2008, 8:05 PM
Yeah, but I can hook up a vac hose to a cheapo Craftsman RAS. Total investment would be about $50.

JW

I'd stick with the circular saw and the special blade. A cheap circular saw if you don't already have one should be cheaper than a RAS you could find unless it's free. I did kill my first Craftsman RAS cutting Pavestone retaining wall block with a masonry blade. Too much fine dust wrecked the motor and bearings. In fact, cutting the cement fiberboard for my shop with the old Craftsman circular saw may be what killed it!! Jim.

Jim O'Dell
09-14-2008, 8:52 PM
For 50.00, I'd go for it. That's almost free! But like Brian said, I don't think they make the special blade for it in a 10". And I'm sure the 7 1/4" blade won't have a 5/8" arbor hole. I tore up 2 regular plywood type blades before I bought the special blade. Wore the cutting tips smooth off!! The other thing about cutting this stuff with a saw, is it is the dust is very dangerous!!! Don't breath the dust. If I had it to do over again, I think I'd invest in one of the cutting tools you add to a drill. It's not supposed to create the dust like sawing it does. There is a special electric cutter you can buy too, but that's a big outlay for a one time project. But it seems like I remember seeing the add on piece to a drill that made the drill work like this tool. Would have to see how much one cost. Another thought is to ask where you are buying the material at if they loan the cutting tool, or maybe rent it, and see what the cost would be to use that.
Which ever way you go, be sure to post some pictures of your progress! Jim.

Dino Makropoulos
09-14-2008, 9:08 PM
Anybody here ever use a radial arm saw for cutting fiber cement siding? If so, how did it work for you? I'm thinking I can get a used one for cheap and just trash it when I'm done.

JW

try this.
http://www.malcoproducts.com/howto/fc-high.asp

Michael Lutz
09-14-2008, 9:08 PM
Hitachi makes a 10" blade for cutting cement board. I have been using a SCMS for cutting the cement board. It would be a good way to put a RAS out of its misery.

Mike

Jason White
09-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I found several 10" blades for fiber cement on Amazon.com. They range between $50-$100.

Maybe I can find a used 10" miter saw that could work, too. I just thought the RAS might have better dust collection because there's usually a vac port right above the blade.

Jason

Hitachi makes a 10" blade for cutting cement board. I have been using a SCMS for cutting the cement board. It would be a good way to put a RAS out of its misery.

Mike

Jason White
09-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I've cut it with my Bosch worm drive before and a fiber-cement blade, but there's just too much dust.

JW

Jason Roehl
09-15-2008, 8:17 AM
Skip the saws and get the nibbler attachment for an electric drill--no dust, much safer.