PDA

View Full Version : Building a Shop.....

David Smith79
09-14-2008, 1:41 PM
Hello All,

First time poster.....Long time Lurker... I have inherited quite an array of tools, which are in varying conditions. Some are down right useless and some just need TLC.

Anyway, I have a Delta table saw, 34-670 and I am currently working the rust and grime from years of storage off of the machine. It has no fence and the original front rail was bent so I thought I would buy an aftermarket system for it. My intent was to buy the Vega system, but I just realized the deck on this saw is only 22" deep. Is this a problem? I guess the question is can I adapt the rather long(36") fence to this saw and is it worth it to put money into this machine?

I have ordered a new arbor nut and flange washer for it as it was trash. I am thinking I should wait to check the blade wobble (not sure of the technical term):confused: before I spend a bunch of money on this thing anyway.

If anyone has input on this saw, much appreciated. And sorry for the lengthy post....

David

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-14-2008, 2:54 PM
Hi David -

I have that same saw. I also "inherited" it, but it sounds like mine was in better shape. Still, I finally (after years of fighting with it) replaced the stock fence system with a Biesemeyer, and built an extension table to extend it to the right. It's still a "small saw", but these somewhat simple upgrades really do make it a much better saw. My next step is to close up the base and cut a port for dust collection.

As for the long fence - don't worry about it. It just hangs of the back, and still can be very useful when cutting or ripping longer pieces.

David Smith79
09-14-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks John.

It is good to know the aftermarket fence systems will work with the saw. I am going to give it the battery of tests as recommended in other table saw threads and then make a decision on investing in this saw.

I was just looking at the Grizzly website..... I am thinking I need one those bad boys!

David

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-15-2008, 12:11 PM
No doubt I'll upgrade to a better saw in the future (saving my pennies for a nice PM or Sawstop), but for now I want to make this one last.

The aftermarket fences work fine. I wish I had a helper/extra set of hands when installed it, but it just takes time and patience to get it right. I kept putting off installing it because I had to drill into the cast iron table, but that was the easiest drilling I've ever done with metal - it's essentially "self lubricating", and once I had the rails lined up and marked, drilling the holes was a piece of cake. I put the 50" Biesemeyer on it, so I can cut quite a bit more than I could in the past.

Last night I installed a piece of hardboard between the TS top and the supporting open-front cabinet and cut a 4" hole in the back just behind the blade, for a DC port. It's not perfect, but I ran some test pieces through and had minimal dust on the top and none out the back or the bottom - a pretty easy upgrade that I had also been putting off. If you get a dust collector, I highly recommend it.

David Smith79
09-15-2008, 5:45 PM
Thanks. I have a little ways to go before I am ready for the dust collector. But definitely can see a "future need"

Anthony Watson
09-15-2008, 7:54 PM
I thought I would buy an aftermarket system for it. My intent was to buy the Vega system, but I just realized the deck on this saw is only 22" deep. Is this a problem?

I have a 20+ year old Craftsman cheapie I inherited from my dad. Like your saw, the table on mine is only 20 or 22" deep. The stock fence was horrible, so I replaced it with an "Accufence" by Mule Cabinets (http://www.mulecab.com/). That simple upgrade took the saw from a worthless hunk of metal to an accurate cutting system, and has served me well for the last five years or so.

You might take a look at the Accufence if you're shopping for an aftermarket fence.

Take care,

Anthony

David Smith79
09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Anthony,

What size did you end up with? It looks like they come in 25" 40" and 50"....

Did you have to do any mod's to mount to the saw ?

I am really torn here. With the table saw being vital to a shop, I am really considering saving a a few dinero and splurging on a grizzly. I know if I buy a fence and make this puppy work I will get used to using the oldie and never know the power of the 1023.

Thanks for the info

David

Neal Clayton
09-16-2008, 1:01 AM
Hello All,

First time poster.....Long time Lurker... I have inherited quite an array of tools, which are in varying conditions. Some are down right useless and some just need TLC.

Anyway, I have a Delta table saw, 34-670 and I am currently working the rust and grime from years of storage off of the machine. It has no fence and the original front rail was bent so I thought I would buy an aftermarket system for it. My intent was to buy the Vega system, but I just realized the deck on this saw is only 22" deep. Is this a problem? I guess the question is can I adapt the rather long(36") fence to this saw and is it worth it to put money into this machine?

I have ordered a new arbor nut and flange washer for it as it was trash. I am thinking I should wait to check the blade wobble (not sure of the technical term):confused: before I spend a bunch of money on this thing anyway.

If anyone has input on this saw, much appreciated. And sorry for the lengthy post....

David

the outfeed rail on the vega fences isn't really necessary. you can reposition the 'hook' that catches the outfeed rail if you like to make it work (just drill a new screw hole in the bottom), and it does make a nice support for an extra right side extension, but it's not required. like other modern fences, all of the grip is on the front rail, so the depth of the table from front to back doesn't matter.

Anthony Watson
09-16-2008, 1:26 AM
What size did you end up with? It looks like they come in 25" 40" and 50"

I just looked at their site again, and think I actually bought an earlier model that was designed for smaller saws. My maximum rip was roughly 25". I think they have fairly common parts just cut to different lengths, so they can probably accomodate special sizes if you need them. I had really good experience with their customer service.

Did you have to do any mod's to mount to the saw?

It has been a few years, but I think the most I had to do was drill a few mounting holes for the front and back rails. And if I'm remembering correctly, I drilled the aluminum rails to match existing holes in the tablesaw, not the other way around.

I know if I buy a fence and make this puppy work I will get used to using the oldie

Yep, that was my experience. I opted for the fence because we were right in the middle of building our house and I didn't have any extra cash to spend on a new saw. I figured I'd make do with the fence till we were done building, then get a new saw.

Of course, the old saw cut rather nicely with the new fence, so it was a lot harder to justify the expense of a new saw even when I had the money. So I made do with the old saw for another four years.

With the table saw being vital to a shop, I am really considering saving a a few dinero and splurging on a grizzly.

If you can swing it, go for it, but there's a big gap between a $180 fence and a new $1000+ saw. :)

I finally decided recently to get a new saw, not because I "needed" one, but because I "wanted" one. I debated a few models for months, and was just about ready to spring for a Grizzly G0478 when I found a used Craftsman 22124 on Craigslist. I've only had it a day or so, but I'm very happy with it so far. Patience paid off...

Anthony