PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions On A Lathe

Eugene Wigley
09-14-2008, 12:25 PM
I am new to this forum. I have been lurking for a while and have learned a lot from reading other peoples questions and the answers that were posted in response. I look forward to being a Sawmill Creek member. I am sure I will learn a lot.

I need opinions on a lathe. I have a fairly descent woodshop for a hobby guy, but I have never used a lathe. I am sure I will like the ability to build projects with large round legs and other round components. I would also like the ability to turn large bowls and other ornamental items. I may also wont to have a duplicator.

One of the most important things is that I only want to buy one lathe. I need to make sure I get enough power and enough length to do it all the first time.

I have had good luck with Grizzly. I am considering the lathe at the following link.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x...od-Lathe/G0632 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-Variable-Speed-Wood-Lathe/G0632)

I have seen some negative posts on other sites about Griz lathes. If those of you who have been turning for a while could look at this lathe and share your opinions I would appreciate it. Also any other recomendations would be great.

Thanks in advance

Eugene

Steve Schlumpf
09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Eugene - Welcome to the Creek!

Got some good news and some bad news for you. Good news - turning is a lot of fun! So much so that many claim it is addicting! Bad news is I have never heard of a person yet who bought just one lathe - especially when just starting out!

I would highly suggest you get with some local turners - at a turning club, woodworking retail store, etc - and get some hands on experience before you order your lathe. Lots of lathes out there - all with good features but you have to decide what those options should be and you can only do that after a little hands on time.

Best of luck with your decision! Lots of folks here just went through the same process - hopefully they will chime in and give some great advice!

Reed Gray
09-14-2008, 1:03 PM
I have had a wood shop since 93, and don't have any Grizzly tools. I have never used any Grizzly tools. I read a lot of tool reviews before I bought my tools, and then as now, Grizzly seems to get fair reviews, seldom excellent. Some times best buy, but never best tool. From friends, and what I have read, the industrial grade tools from Grizzly seem to be pretty good, but the 'hobby' grade tools can be hit or miss. Lots of inconsistancy.

Do try to find the nearest turning club. You may be able to get a used lathe, tools and instruction. Of course, the monthly demonstrations are priceless.

robo hippy

Eugene Malone
09-14-2008, 3:56 PM
As one Eugene to another, I can vouch for what Steve has said. I am exactly 12 months at this wonderful turning game. I am almost 70yrs. old and now have my fourth (4) and final lathe...A Nova 1624-44. The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill so I've been told. Best of luck REgards Eugene Malone

jason lambert
09-14-2008, 5:59 PM
It all depends on buget I just bought a powermatic 3520b which seems to be the sweet spot big enought to do almost anything and very versitle but not to large that it take up a ton of room, also can be expanded almost indefinaly. I thought it was the best bang for buck. I am like you a hobbiest. For the hight end lathes look at one way being the most popular, stubby is also nice there are tons out there.

The advice of going to a turning club meeting is good, you do need some instruction on the tools so you don't kill yourself. They are not that stright foward, as I found out. You will also get to see many different lathes there as well which is nice. I started turnong a couple months ago and it is alot of fun and much different from the typical wood shop work I do but it complmants it well.

Mike Minto
09-14-2008, 6:48 PM
Eugene, aside from doing what the others have said - visit a good working store, go to club meetings and try to find other turners in your area where you could possibly put your hands on their machines and ask why they use what they do, I'd keep these four things in mind - what is my budget, how much room do I have for a lathe, what features are most important to me, and what power supply do I have to work with - 110 or 220? Mike

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2008, 6:59 PM
Eugene you have got some good advice. I agree with the others find a woodworking store or woodworking club to see what others have. My advice other than that would be if you are looking seriously at that lathe I would go with the Jet 1642 2 hp 220V unit. They are basically the same but for my money, great customer service and a 5 yr. warranty that would be the way I would go.

Gary Herrmann
09-14-2008, 7:17 PM
Eugene, I've heard fairly good reviews of most Grizzly tools. Not too much on their lathes tho.

One thing you might consider is getting a mini lathe to get your feet wet. Buying your last lathe or your last anything first time out without ever having used such a tool, is IMHO unrealistic. How many people do you know that have upgraded their TS, BS, jointer, planer, lathe etc? Conversely, how many people do you know that after 5 or 10 years in the hobby haven't upgraded a single tool? I can think of 4 that I've upgraded. Don't even get me started on hand (neander) tools...

You'll learn what you like to do and how you like to work as you're exposed to the tool, the type of work you do and most importantly how you work. Again, IMHO, this is more true of lathes than most other tools.

Not suprisingly, I've got a mini lathe and a floor model. I use the mini for pens and small work (which is where I started) and the mustard for larger turnings. But thats what seems to work for me...

Ron Bontz
09-14-2008, 8:10 PM
As someone who had always turned spindles, lamps, etc., I am learning there is a great deal to learn in regards to bowl turning and the tools/ lathes used in the process. Take head to Steve's advice and go visit a local wood turner's club, store ,etc. It may save your sanity. I lost mine. Oh, wait, I didn't have any in the first. :D

Ron Bontz
09-14-2008, 8:13 PM
Oh sorry, I misspelled a word. Oh and did I mention segmentededededed turning?:eek: There are truly some here who are artist.:) Good luck

Cyril Griesbach
09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Eugene, you don't mention where you are located and it's just possible that you could be near someone here on the Creek or another woodturning forum that would be willing to have you over to dip your toes in the turning pool.

Advice on finding a turning club nearby is the best thing you could do. If I had done this first I could have saved lots of time, money and frustration.

Here is a link to the listing of the AAW turning chapters. Hopefully you can find one reasonable close but even if you have to go some distance it will be worth your time and effort.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp

Welcome and good luck.

Cyril

Josh Holden
09-15-2008, 5:39 PM
I'm a big grizzly fan, but...

Do not buy a grizzly lathe.

I have their cabinet saw (love it), 14" bandsaw (like it), jointer, planer (both a good value), drill press (good enough for my needs)... and the only reason their lathe is still in my shop is because I haven't found anyone I dislike enough to give it to. Honestly, I'd like to sell it, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Otherwise, I agree with most of what's been posted. For my second lathe, I shared your desire to have it be my last lathe (for the forseeable future, anyway) so I went with the 3520B -- but a big part of that is that it is good for the kind of work I like to do.

Josh

Dave Bender
09-15-2008, 5:55 PM
You said
the ability to build projects with large round legs and other round components. I would also like the ability to turn large bowls and other ornamental items. I may also wont to have a duplicator.

To do what you've said you want to do would be better done on a more robust lathe than the one you're looking at. I would look at the Powermatic 3520B or better to accomplish the tasks that you've said you want to do. Having said that, since you haven't turned I would recommend that you look into a Jet Mini Lathe to start. It's a high quality lathe that is very useful to have in the shop when you eventually obtain a large lathe. The tools, chucks (for the most part), shop supplies, sharpening equipment, etc can be used on any lathe and will easily transfer from a small lathe like the Jet to a larger lathe like the Powermatic. As you learn to turn your turning may take you to a lathe very different from what you've said that you want. Try to find a local turning club and take the plunge. Eventually you'll know what you want and can make a smart purchase decision. Myself, I started on a Delta Midi and replaced it with a Oneway 2436 which would definiately meet your needs but is a bit pricey ($5K or so). I do wish I had a small lathe in the shop and if I ever get a larger shop space I'll probably get one (Jet Mini).

Curt Fuller
09-15-2008, 9:12 PM
I'm a big grizzly fan, but...

Do not buy a grizzly lathe.

Josh beat me to this but of all the good things about Grizzly tools that I've read, I've never heard anyone rave about their lathes. For a serious woodworker you'd probably want to go with something that has electronic variable speed and big enough to turn a nice sized bowl. Probably something like a Powermatic 3520b, the 16" Jet, the Nova DVR, etc. There are a lot of good lathes out there.

Eugene Wigley
09-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice. It sounds like I need to find a local club in the Raleigh, NC area. I will start a new thread for that.

Thanks again. This will probably save me a lot of time and money and may even keep me from doing something dangerous from lack of experience.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-17-2008, 12:25 AM
Eugene,

I think you are making a wise decision.

I don't own any Grizzly tools yet. I will own one of their jointers within the next 12 months. They make good tools for the buck.

Their lathes, IMHO, are a different matter. Some of the designs of their older lathes were not too well thought out IMHO. Slow speeds too fast.....tool rest/ bango poor design. Again just my opinion.....casually looking at what they were offering.

Join a club....even if you have to drive a little distance. Members will adopt you and I'm sure you will get a chance to see and turn on different lathes. Find out what feels good for you and buy 1 lathe.

I was lucky. The idiot turners here decided I was doing too much flat work. We got into a pushing/shoving/pulling contest and they sent me a Jet VS Mini and tools and videos and wood. I was a couple of months from having my shop finished. Well 2 years later, the $700 worth of fluorescent lights were still sitting in the corner gathering dust. The shop still wasn't painted. Lumber was stacked all over the place. But I was turning by the light of 2 construction lights on a stand. I have since upgraded to a PM3520B after test driving a Robust American Beauty, fondling a big ONEWAY and others. The PM3520B to me met the most of my specifications and desires for the money. It might not be the lathe for you, however. If you really only one to buy one. Go look and if possible test drive as many lathes as you can. Save your money and buy the one that is right for you and your budget. You'll find a lot of folks start out with one lathe and upgrade once or twice before they find the one that they consider a keeper.