PDA

View Full Version : Wipe On Rockler Gel

Paul A. Clark
09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Working on a project of Texas Mesquite. I am using Rocklers Wipe On Gel, I am wet sanding w/ 1200 grit between coats. My question is I have never wet sanded wood before. The project is a oblesk shaped piece, so laying it down is not an option. So how much do you sand and how much water? The sub finish is BLO.

Thanks
Paul

Steve Schoene
09-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Between coats you should be sanding with a coarser paper--about 320 grit. It needs to be scratched up for one coat to have "grips" to adhere onto the next. You sand between coats to promote adhesion and to level the surface. The 320 grit scratches all disappear under the next coat

There is no point in wet sanding between coats, and on the first couple of coats in particular introducing water into the process can cause problems. After you have achieved sufficient build of the finish, then you can let the final coat cure, as long as possible, a month is good, and then come back and rub out the finish working progressively to fine grits. About 1200 grit (CAMI) is as fine as you ever need to sand, after that, if you want a glossier surface you would shift to polishing compound to buff out the scratches from the 1200 grit. With the wipe on gel you aren't getting very thick coatings so it takes a lot of care to avoid sanding or polishing through the finish.

Paul A. Clark
09-13-2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry, here are some pics

Thanks
Paul96858