PDA

View Full Version : Are the turners in the Houston area okay????

Dick Strauss
09-13-2008, 8:10 PM
I hope all of our turning folks in the Houston area survived the storm without too much damage. Chris Hartley, Rich Souchek, and Robert McGowan come to mind first but I know there are others. Let's say a collective prayer for all those folks for a safe and speedy recovery!

Take care,
Dick

Robert McGowen
09-13-2008, 8:49 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, but I am right where everyone is evacuating to! I know that Chris would be in the middle of things though. I have a brother in that area and he told me by cell phone this morning that they have no power and don't expect any in the near future. It sounded like the "danger" might be over, but the worse is yet to come as far as just being there. :(

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Robert - glad to hear you are OK! Hope the rest of your family faired OK as well. Been wondering about Chris but also know it may be a few days before we hear anything just because of lack of power - and higher priorities!

Bernie Weishapl
09-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Glad to hear you are ok Robert. Hope the others made it thru ok. I guess there is a lot of power out in the area down there. Hopefully we will hear from the others.

Jon Lanier
09-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I hope everyone is okay. And then I hope the turners get some good wood from the blown over trees. :rolleyes:

Richard Madison
09-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Daughter in Humble area reports that they already have water and electrical service restored. Original prognosis was no electricity for about three weeks, so they got lucky, thanks to utility crews on the job.

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-14-2008, 1:56 AM
For those that may have forgotten (or never knew), I'm posting this link:

http://www.woodturner.org/info/relief.htm

There are limited funds currently available for AAW victims of natural disasters. If you or someone you know has been hit hard, don't hesitate to contact the AAW office for more details or contact you can contact your club president.

Dick Strauss
09-14-2008, 6:06 PM
Robert,
I'm glad to hear you were spared the worst of it!

Malcolm,
It is good to know that AAW supports its members in times of need!

I forgot to ask about Cecil Arnold as well? Hopefully all is well with everyone else...!

Rich Souchek
09-14-2008, 9:41 PM
Checking in - internet just came alive again.
Made it thru Ike ok, lost power about 5 hours before the eye passed about 40 miles east of here (Richmond, Texas.) Got power back yesterday evening, internet today sometime.
Spent today ferring generators and window air conditioners around to family members and cutting small trees, picking up limbs.
It is a three Advil night now.
Was up at Conroe today, they took a huge hit on their electrical grid, might be 3 weeks or so for power to them.
There are some huge trees down, with the majority of them oaks overall and pecans down here in Richmond. Southern pine trees are down all over.
On the west side of Houston, probably 60 % still without power tonight. Expect the east side of Houston to be worse off.
Doing ok here, all in all, entirly due to gods mercy.
Rich s.

Steve Schlumpf
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Rich - Glad to hear you made it through the storm OK! The clean up part is the dangerous part - so take care!