PDA

View Full Version : Table leg question.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-10-2004, 1:46 AM
I want to add a different type wood to the end of a table leg to give a nice contast detail. But what would be the best way to glue this end grain/end grain situation? This piece would only be about 1-2 inches long. Thanks Alan in Md.

Steve Jenkins
05-10-2004, 5:02 AM
Alan, If it is a square or square-tapered leg you could rab the ends and glue thin (1/8 or so) pieces on all four faces mitering the corners. Steve

Todd Burch
05-10-2004, 8:44 AM
This would be a good application for dowels. By using dowels, you are changing the equation from an end-grain to end-grain glue-up, to a side-grain to side-grain glue-up. More surface area for glue, better adhesion, and a mechanical assist.

If you are not into dowels, and the legs are large enough, you could use biscuits.

You could additionally cut a mortise on one part and a tenon on the other part.

Todd

Tim Sproul
05-10-2004, 12:03 PM
another vote for veneering....

Alan Tolchinsky
05-10-2004, 3:25 PM
Thanks guys. I think I'll go the dowel method as suggested by Todd. I'd love to use biscuits but they're way too big for this. Alan

Earl Kelly
05-10-2004, 4:09 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here. Lurked for a while and thought I'd finally reg and make some posts.

Alan, I put "feet" on my furniture quite often. What I do is chuck up the foot piece in the lathe and turn a round tenon ie. dowel on the end. I feel this is stronger than a dowel in each piece. And drill the upper portion.