PDA

View Full Version : Resources and advice for beginner

Wei Yang
09-13-2008, 5:25 PM
After shopping around everywhere and not finding any good quality solid wood bedroom furniture sets for a decent price, I've been thinking of building my own (queen frame, tall dresser and 2 nighstands).

Other than this great forum, what are some good places (or books) to start learning about the basics of wood working such as techniques, wood choices and places to find (pref free) plans? Also, does any one have any general advice for a beginner starting to learn about wood working, especially about how long a project like this would take? I'll be using a public wood workshop that's only open 3 hours during the weekdays.

Peter Quadarella
09-13-2008, 5:56 PM
Wei, to be honest, starting from scratch with no knowledge and only three hours available in the shop per week, I will be impressed if you actually finish such an ambitious project. The start and stop alone would kill me, never mind the glue ups. I think you are going to need at least some space at home.

That said, any of the Taunton books I have looked at have been good. You can search for them on Amazon. There are a number of them on pretty much every topic.

Peter Pedisich
09-13-2008, 6:05 PM
Wei,

I think a great way to learn joinery, finishing, glue ups, etc, and get a real nice bedroom set it to find an old (80+ year old) bedroom set in need of renovation.
You will learn a lot, including just how long projects take!:D

Or if you don't like that idea, woodworking classes are very helpful.

Good luck,

Pete

Burt Waddell
09-13-2008, 6:44 PM
After shopping around everywhere and not finding any good quality solid wood bedroom furniture sets for a decent price, I've been thinking of building my own (queen frame, tall dresser and 2 nighstands).

Other than this great forum, what are some good places (or books) to start learning about the basics of wood working such as techniques, wood choices and places to find (pref free) plans? Also, does any one have any general advice for a beginner starting to learn about wood working, especially about how long a project like this would take? I'll be using a public wood workshop that's only open 3 hours during the weekdays.

The situation you are talking about reminds of the conditions that I tried a couple of times in the Air FOrce Hobby shop. With no skills and using unknown plans and unknown styles, it would be all but impossible to give you an accurate time estimate.

A class is going to be necessary unless the woodworking facility has a teacher/insructor on hand at all times.

I don't mean to sound rude with this remark, but if you are making the furniture yourself purely to save money, I'm not sure it is wise to try it. On the other hand if you think you will enjoy woodworking, it would be worth while.

Also, I think a single item might be a better idea to start with. Maybe a table, a small desk, or magazine rack. Anything to help you get a feel for what is involved in woodworking.

Burt

Eric Larsen
09-13-2008, 6:52 PM
Ni hau ma, Wei...

I was at the same place you are now about 10 months ago. My wife and I had just moved here, and we discussed our options. We simply cannot afford the kind of quality that we want.

So I broached the question, "Let me buy a LOT of tools and even more wood, and I'll make our custom cabinets and furniture. It will cost less in the long run." (I had no experience at the time. None.)

All she said was, "Don't cut off any fingers." So several tool gloats later, we are almost where we want to be. We're both happy with the quality of work I'm churning out, but I'm less than happy with my speed. I'm sure that will improve over time.

First of all, I can't imagine learning woodworking in a public shop that's open 3 hours per day. I can't imagine their blades and bits are any good. If there's ONE THING you want as a beginner, it's top quality tools, with the best, sharpest edges that money can buy.

Second, I agree with everyone who recommended Taunton books. Every single one of them is a winner. Start with this one (http://www.amazon.com/Joinery-Shaping-Milling-Techniques-Woodworking/dp/1561583057/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221345245&sr=8-3) and this one (http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Finishing/dp/1561585920/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221345322&sr=8-1). Once you've read the joinery book, you'll have an idea what tools you need. Then check craigslist for deals on table saws, routers, and all the other stuff you're going to need.

Third, watch more television! Specifically Wood Works and New Yankee Workshop. The hosts make it look easy (it isn't). They never seem to break a sweat (I do). And they never seem to make mistakes. But these shows are invaluable to the novice because you can watch first hand as master craftsmen go through the design, building and finishing process. If you're married, try to get your wife to watch the shows with you. It will make explaining your budget easier. (And occasionally, you hear the most amazing comments from your wife, like, "Hey, you don't have one of those multi-router thingies. Do you need one?")

Fourth, www.thewoodwhisperer.com. Marc has a no-nonsense "here's how you do it" approach to his podcasts. The ones where he sets up and tunes tools are my favorites. #6 "This Jointer's Jumping" is a must see.

Fifth, if you don't have one already, jump in by purchasing a GOOD cordless set. Everyone here has their favorite brand, so ask around. You're going to need that cordless drill for nearly every project, so get it now, along with a cordless circular saw. There are a LOT of things you can make with a circular saw, a drill and a router. Once you've made some sawdust, you can move on to bigger projects.

Sixth, Buy your tools as you need them. I own a scroll saw because I thought would be cool to have. I never use it. Ever. Total waste of money.

Seventh, never buy something "that will do for now." It won't do for now. It never will do. You'll just kick yourself for buying it and then spend the money on the proper tool anyway.

Eighth, Ear protection, eye protection, dust protection. Every time, no exceptions. And never be more than a few feet away from a fire extinguisher.

Eric Larsen
09-13-2008, 7:56 PM
A valid point for many, I think. But saving money is EXACTLY why I got into woodworking. I have "heirloom quality" taste and an Ikea budget. LOML and I talked it over for the better part of a day and decided we could make it work. (And if I need help, she's always right there. I really lucked out in the LOML department.)

My grandfather built his own house -- start to finish -- because he couldn't afford to hire a crew. All things considered, I think he would have preferred to just write a check, but he couldn't. He and my grandmother worked 16-hour days for months. Our forefathers learned skills that we will never have because of necessity. We look back fondly on their effort and dedication, yet tell the younger generations to "leave it to the pros."

I think that is a mistake.

Besides, I discovered I really enjoy woodworking (when things are going smoothly). I've also discovered that building a staircase is like graduate school for cursing. ;)

I don't mean to sound rude with this remark, but if you are making the furniture yourself purely to save money, I'm not sure it is wise to try it. On the other hand if you think you will enjoy woodworking, it would be worth while.

Wei Yang
09-13-2008, 8:51 PM
You guys are great, this is fantastic advice :)

I actually do want to start woodworking so I wouldn't even mind if I end up spending more money at the end then if I just bought furniture to begin with. The problem is that I live in a small apartment in the middle of Chicago so I have to resort to a public woodshop. I haven't seen this shop yet so I don't know what kind of conditions the tools are in and I was told that there is an instructor too but it's independent work. The set up and take down time is a really good point so I'll look into getting a circular saw, router and drill for maybe some "living room" projects.

Meanwhile, I will pick up that joinery and finishing book. I am actually trying to finish a ikea solid wood table top I just bought so the finishing book will be great. Perhaps I'll just buy an ikea furniture set for now (I just moved and don't have anything) and decide later on if I have the resources to build one or if I have to resort to just buying a set.

Eric Larsen
09-13-2008, 9:04 PM
When you go to that shop, find out what kind of blades and bits they use. Find out how often they're cleaned and sharpened. If you don't like the answers, buy your own bits and blades and bring them with you. I'd probably do that anyway. I can't imagine working without my Forrest and Freud blades.

And, actually, you don't have to resort to the public shop (unless you like the conditions, tools, and vibe of the shop).

It's pricy, but Festool makes a line of tools that are perfect for you. (But very, very expensive.) You could literally turn your livingroom into a shop and not have to worry about sawdust.

Look into it. Festool tools hold their value, so you could buy what you need, use it for what you need to do, then sell it for 60-70% of what you paid. I bet five out of 10 people here would buy a Domino joiner or Kapex saw for 30% off the going "Toolking.com" rate. I know I would.

The problem is that I live in a small apartment in the middle of Chicago so I have to resort to a public woodshop.

Jake Helmboldt
09-13-2008, 9:19 PM
LIBRARY!

Wei, check out some books from the library before spending too much money. There are so many books out there and some are great, others, not so much. Others have a few gems but aren't worth the price for the whole book. You can also find videos there sometimes.

I suggest picking a smaller project that has some of the joinery you envision using on the bigger pieces (such as mortise and tennon) and building that small item to both learn techniques, but to also guage whether you enjoy it, have the basic skills, and get a feel for the time committment.

Jake

John Buzzurro
09-14-2008, 9:18 AM
Here are links to some woodworking plans. Some are free, some not.

http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/

http://freeww.com/

http://www.a-plus-woodworking-plans.com/index.htm

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/index.cfm/plans

http://www.woodprojects.com/ (http://www.woodprojects.com/)

http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/index.html

Tom Walz
09-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Chisels on a Wheel is often described as the best book on woodworking tools ever written. That is open to discussion but it is very good. It is long out of print but we got permission to reproduce it and sell it.

The entire book is online at:
http://www.carbideprocessors.com/level2store/mysite23/Chisels_on_a_Wheel_index.htm (http://www.carbideprocessors.com/level2store/mysite23/Chisels_on_a_Wheel_index.htm)

The web site is undergoing a major overhaul this week but it should be there for a couple days anyway.

There are also opportunities to buy the book and to buy tools. If this offends you just read the free book and ignore the rest.

Tom

Wilbur Pan
09-15-2008, 2:00 PM
The problem is that I live in a small apartment in the middle of Chicago so I have to resort to a public woodshop.

Have you considered learning how to use hand tools? You can do a lot in a small space with hand tools.

Prashun Patel
09-15-2008, 2:50 PM
Get some copies of WOOD magazine. IMHO, you should build your way up to a bed. If you try to make one without having mastered some skills (cutting, routing, joining, glueing, finishing) you'll end up with something that you probably won't like or that doesn't hold up.

Not trying to discourage you - just pointing out that if you invest in $1000 in tools and a few hundred in good wood and then decide you hate the process, you won't be happy.

If yr true motivation is because you can't find something you like, then I suggest you intensify your search and look for some custom woodworkers to make you something.

If however (like me) your primary motivation is because you just love to make stuff and 'think you can make something more perfect than what you can buy' is only the stated reason you use to convince yr wife to let you spend many dusty hours in the garage/basement, then by all means, WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Scott Wigginton
09-15-2008, 3:17 PM
Check out your local school districts Adult Education program. Mine offers a basic and an advanced woodworking course.

For $65 I get ten 3-hour classes (one 3-hour class at Woodcraft runs $150). Plus their shop is relatively well equipped and of the two instructors I've had, each have over 20 years experience of instructing teenagers and know how to explain it in simple terms. Plus they help you while you get stuck on something (instead of reading about it later online after you already spent 2 hours doing it the hard way )

Also checkout your local woodworking guild, church men's ministry, and sites like this & lumberjocks to locate people in your area. Typically you'll find some very helpful people who would love the chance to impart some knowledge.