PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this?

Wesley Perreira
09-13-2008, 1:16 AM
Has anyone tried to laser this glass picture frame? Any tips? Looks like a lot of curve and it also needs to be propped up on one side to get the area you engrave level. There really is a lot more curve than it appears in the photo. :confused:

Frank Corker
09-13-2008, 6:07 AM
Wesley I have seen those close up. I really don't think it is as hard to do as you think. You would have to have it propped up on one side inside the laser and you would have to set your laser focus depth for halfway between deepest and highest point. That curve would certainly be within the lasering range.

Mike Null
09-13-2008, 8:58 AM
Prop it up and laser from the back.

John Barton
09-14-2008, 4:50 AM
I did a lot of similar items one year. These were curved pieces of acrylic that had been engraved as trophies. I lasered them in reverse on the back side and could do about 3" in length and still get nicely seen marking.

I was doing names on the trophies. I was doing the center. I think if you want to do it off center you do need to build a jig to keep your field within your focus range.

Wesley Perreira
10-03-2008, 4:32 AM
I finally got the nerve to try one of these tonight and I must admit, I destroyed one in the process. I tried to figure out the centering option/manual focus deal while trying to engrave on the front, but soon learned that it was impossible for me. I came back to this post and read the given advice. If only I had done that from the start, but I guess some of us need to learn the hard way. I then followed the advice by lasering from the back after propping it up and there you have it. Nothing too fancy but my daughter liked it.

Thanks a lot forum!

Sorry about the fingerprints...

Mike Null
10-03-2008, 7:18 AM
Wesley

It looks very good. Just one more suggestion--when using script or calligraphic fonts it is best to use both upper and lower case.

Great idea to enhance the engraving with the small hearts.

Frank Corker
10-03-2008, 10:10 AM
This really was A LEARNING CURVE :rolleyes:

Ray Uebner
10-03-2008, 1:12 PM
Look Great and a good suggestion on the Font type. I always learn by reading. I also learn the hard way most of the time that is why this form is great you can bounce off of other people that have been there and keep you from always learning the hard way.:)