PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel Doors with the EZ PBB

Burt Waddell
09-13-2008, 12:31 AM
A few weeks ago I did a post on the EZ PBB and modules I had developed to add to it. This post carries that concept one step further with a routing module. This is specifically tuned to making raised panel doors. In the future I will be working on a module for general routing and this will probably add Dino's router tunnel. This method of making raised panel doors is 100% compliant with the dead-wood concept. All cutting and routing was done on the PBB.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=drgivcf.837viwpn&Uy=kvr4kg&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&UV=985963701278_720183973307&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Enjoy

Burt

Brian Clevenger
09-13-2008, 2:10 PM
I guess I just don't understand why you would want to. I'm certain I can crank out doors faster, easier, and probably safer on the router table.

Matt Ocel
09-13-2008, 2:22 PM
I'm with Brian.

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2008, 2:27 PM
It's a good example of the old saying about there being "more than one way to skin a cat". But for panel raising, give me a shaper please....

Burt Waddell
09-13-2008, 3:20 PM
I had two things in mind with doing raised panel doors in this way.

First, this approach uses the deadwood concept. The board is held in place at all times so the router can't throw it at you - Safety. And a bonus it was super easy to do. All the cuts and setups are simple and ez.

As for Brian's comment about the router table, you may well be right about the speed - I haven't used this setup enough yet to tell for sure. Safety and ease of use definately go to the PBB module.

David, you're correct about there being nothing that can beat a shaper for raised panels. On the flip side, this setup avoids the cost of the shaper and shaper cutters. Also you don't have another stationary tool in the way when you are not using it.

Second, I was looking for a way to take a basic 2' x 4' Power Bench and add modules to accomplish almost anything a person could want to do in a home shop. I have modules for cross cutting, angle cutting and ripping boards up to 8'. There will also be a "Smart Table" type attachment for cutting full sheets of plywood. I'm sure a lot of folks would welcome a shop that could fit in a 2' x 4' space in a garage.

Burt

Peter Quadarella
09-13-2008, 6:02 PM
Well, I think it's awesome Burt. Great job and very ingenious. I am not looking forward to raising panels on the router table; doing it without having to hold the wood or go near the giant bit is appealing to me.

Peter Pedisich
09-13-2008, 6:08 PM
Burt,

That looks like the big Makita 15amp router, which I think had a brake, further adding to the safety factor.

That's some great looking BB plywood, too!

Pete

Burt Waddell
09-13-2008, 7:01 PM
Burt,

That looks like the big Makita 15amp router, which I think had a brake, further adding to the safety factor.

That's some great looking BB plywood, too!

Pete

Peter,

That is the big Makita - actually two of them. They have been my main workhorse router for several years. I also have two others that are dedicated to router tables. There is a 5th one that is a single speed along with a Bosch, Milwaukee, and Triton 3 horse models.

The baltic birch plywood is great for table building. I normally use the 1/2" size. When you use portions of the EZ guide rail for extrusions, they are also 1/2" thick. Makes life nice and EZ.

And yes, the Makita 3612C is varible speed and is the only router I know of with a brake. It is just a good tough router.

Burt