PDA

View Full Version : Excellent lumber in the Southeast

jim gossage
09-12-2008, 9:36 PM
I wanted to sing the praise of Wall Lumber in NC. NO, I am not Steve or his family (but I do play his doctor on TV:p). 2 days ago I orderd 20 BF of wenge, bubinga, lacewood, etc...and today I received the wood. I was billed for 20.4 BF but in fact got 21.1 Not a big bonus, but it beats the 10-15% charge for "shrinkage" that some apply. All boards were 1 1/16 - 1 3/16" thick, and most showed minimal cup or bow, no defects, and pleasing figure. The prices are very fair and the shipping on 100# of lumber to GA was only $40. This is my second time ordering from Wall, and I was equally pleased the first time. Although its still not as satisfying as seeing and touching the piece before you buy it, you can be confident that you will get good quality wood for a fair price.

rob mason
09-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Same here. I ordered some cherry from him several months ago and was very pleased with the quality and price.

Jim Tobias
09-13-2008, 2:11 AM
Those of us living in NC an hour or so from Steve are lucky (and we know it) !! I can't remember ever buying a bad board from Steve.

Jim

Peter Quadarella
09-13-2008, 7:35 AM
I bought a couple bundles of his shorts - they are a great deal if you are doing smaller work.

John Thompson
09-13-2008, 11:38 AM
I live in Atlanta and have been singing his praise for years even though I have a good local source also. I used to drive up on occasion as I really prefer to look before I leap but the price of gas stymies that. But.. I have never heard a complaint of what he sent sight un-seen.

Sarge..

Mike Langford
09-13-2008, 2:50 PM
Steve was the guest speaker at my Woodworking Guild's meeting this last Monday (Sept 8th)......which I happened to miss! :mad::(
The text below was taken from our monthly newsletter......

Steve Wall of Wall Lumber will discuss wood
selection
Twenty seven years ago, Steve started a small sideline business in his back
yard. Woodworking was his hobby and since he had good sources for lumber
and he thought it would be helpful to sell a few boards to support his sawdust
addiction. He now has a full time business selling lumber to woodworkers!
Through his business he now deals with some of the leading craftsmen in the
country and supplies famous facilities such as Colonial Williamsburg and Old
Salem Inc. But his primary satisfaction comes from working with home
craftsman because they have such a love and passion for their work.
Steve will give us tips on how to select and grade lumber and plywood for
your next project.
See you at the meeting!

Jeff Mohr
09-13-2008, 9:20 PM
Steve is a great guy to do business with. My father in law and I have ordered numerous times from him. Mostly domestic stuff but it was nice!!!

Brian Ross
09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Met the gentleman at the Atlanta IWF two years ago. He was at that time selling Oliver Machinery. Great guy to talk to and having seen his name so mamy times on forums I pictured him bigger than life. Iin reality he is just a "good ole boy". Last year I was at another trade show in NC and made a point of visiting his shop to see what it was like. He appears to be better known on forums than in his own village, Asked about four people before I found someone that knew where his shop was. Huge suppy of both lumber and sheetgoods. He is located on the south end of the village in an old red brick warehouse. Didn't buy anything but it was a nice drive and I headed back to Ontario.
Brian

Bob Childress
09-14-2008, 2:00 PM
Let me add another thumb's up for Steve Wall. Great selection, great service. And a great guy to boot.

[He was in Traveler's Rest because his kids live in the area and he comes down to Greenville regularly. :) ]

Mike Langford
09-14-2008, 3:47 PM
Let me add another thumb's up for Steve Wall. Great selection, great service. And a great guy to boot.

[He was in Traveler's Rest because his kids live in the area and he comes down to Greenville regularly. :) ]

Bob,
Steve was the speaker at the Greenville Woodworkers Guild.....I thought you were a member??

I wasn't aware he had kin-folk in TR......;)