PDA

View Full Version : How to Scroll

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:06 PM
Here is a picture trail of how I made the rim scroll. 1. I start with 30 tiles 3/8x2x2 of each wood. 2. They are cut with in the drawn arcs on a scroll saw. 3. Each tile is numbered in opposing corners for grain matching when glued up.

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:09 PM
4. Then both halves are held in the routing jig and cut to shape. I do the same with the contrasting wood.

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:16 PM
Each piece is then cleaned by sanding the frays away and paired up with a mate and checked for fit. I made a glue up jig for consistency. I use Titebond original. No clamps, just a rub joint held for 30 seconds. It was a warm day in the shop even with fans blowing!

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:22 PM
following the first glue up the tiles are cut, routed and cleaned up for the second glue up.

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:30 PM
Third, fourth and fifth cut, glue clean and glue up.

Walt Nollan
09-12-2008, 6:37 PM
Following the final glue up I made yet another jig to define the cut and trim line for the segments. Then cut and glue pairs until the ring was ready to glue up to the bowl rim. Its all really straight forward segmentation. With a slight twist.

David Walser
09-12-2008, 8:02 PM
... Its all really straight forward segmentation. With a slight twist.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. "Straight forward segmentation". Just like falling off a log. Nothing could be simpler. Sorta like playing checkers while wearing mittens -- only your "slight twist" involves wearing a blindfold, too.

Great bowl, by the way. And seriously, thanks for the information. You made something that's VERY COMPLEX appear remotely feasible.

Bob Hamilton
09-12-2008, 8:57 PM
I see you have cleverly disguised your magic wand as a pencil, but you can't fool me!!!! :D

Bob