PDA

View Full Version : What does $1 get at an Estate Sale?

Randy Klein
09-12-2008, 4:13 PM
A whole lot of rust...

First, a Stanley block plane - I believe it's a 60-1/2. And in need of a good electrolysis bath...

Randy Klein
09-12-2008, 4:14 PM
Second, a Disston D-95 "Masterpiece" Handsaw with relatively clean medallion and an etching present.

Here's a link (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/d95page.html) for a description of the D-95 and it's "Bakelite" handles.

Is electrolysis a good way to clean this up while keeping the etch?

Douglas Brummett
09-12-2008, 5:26 PM
I gotta see how this one turns out, definitely a good electrolysis candidate.

Pete Bradley
09-12-2008, 8:26 PM
Second, a Disston D-95 "Masterpiece" Handsaw with relatively clean medallion and an etching present.
Is electrolysis a good way to clean this up while keeping the etch?

Some electrolysis sites recommend against tanking saw blades due to the risk of hydrogen embrittlement. No personal experience either way.

Pete

Carl Maeda-San Diego
09-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I frequent estate sales a lot. In fact most of my chisels, gouges and a few planes are from estate sales and a few planes.
Electrolysis works well for planes, if you don't mind losing some or all the japanning.
Otherwise, use a soft brass brush for the painted surfaces and a hard steel brush and sand paper for the bare surfaces.
You can also use CLR. CLR works really well if you soak it for a day or two. Small amounts of rust disappear within an hour or two. Be sure to wear some rubber gloves. CLR also removes paint.
Those are good finds. I would leave the saw out of electrolysis. Any pits and scratches, as well as the teeth can be cleaned up with the hard steel brush and the flat areas can just be cleaned up sand paper. Or if you can remove the handle, I would use CLR.

Alan DuBoff
09-13-2008, 3:41 AM
I love the 60 1/2, it's one of the most useful planes, and the size really makes it nice for me.

I also have a 65 1/2 which is pretty much identical to the 60 1/2 but a tad bigger. I use the 60 1/2 more.

The bakelite handle is interesting on the saw, they used to use bakelite on musical instruments. I only own one crummy full size Craftsman saw. I did clean it up and use it to cut down a bunk bed for my son recently. I do most all of my dimensioning with machines, so don't need full size saws. I do have a lot of backsaws though...:rolleyes:

Nice score.

Randy Klein
09-13-2008, 8:32 PM
This plane cleaned up remarkably well. The sole has no pitting or cracks. The jappaning is mostly present on the plane bed, but mostly missing on the knuckle of course.

The electrolysis took quite awhile because all the moving parts were frozen rust shut.

So, should I leave it as is, or repaint with Rustoleum?

Randy Klein
09-13-2008, 8:33 PM
And here's a few things uncovered...

Stu Gillard
09-13-2008, 8:48 PM
That is amazing, surely not the same plane. I would have expected more pitting than that.

Gotta read up on electrolysis for my next cleanup.

Randy Klein
09-13-2008, 8:52 PM
That is amazing, surely not the same plane. I would have expected more pitting than that.

Gotta read up on electrolysis for my next cleanup.

This is only my second attempt at electrolysis. It's real easy.

I was surprised by the lack of pitting as well. But the rust did look like just surface rust to begin with. I guess I got lucky.

Alan DuBoff
09-14-2008, 12:36 AM
Randy,

If it was me, I would spend time and focus on getting a nice edge on the blade, before I did anything else to it. I think it's a matter of taste, some folks like to clean them up, some prefer to leave them as-is. My 60 1/2 has a nickel lever cap so there is no japanning like your lever cap. That is only age difference. My 65 1/2 is like yours.

You can paint it with rustoleum if you like, or use it as-is, the choice is yours. It is really in good condition, would work fine as-is. Don't hesitate to clean it more and/or paint it, or re-japan it...do what you feel comfortable with, the plane is yours. It's a definite keeper, and great user.

Steve Rozmiarek
09-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Randy, personally, I'd leave it, no new paint. I'm wierd, but I would rather my tools look like the great old pieces of history that they are, rather than something I bought off the shelf two weeks ago. I'm sure lots of people diasgree, and its yours, so have fun with it! Great resurection BTW. How did the saw blade turn out?

Randy Klein
09-14-2008, 1:08 PM
I haven't done the saw yet. But the jappaning on the plane is not holding up. It's starting to flake off if you look at it funny. So, it looks like I'll be repainting...

Joe Vincent
09-14-2008, 7:13 PM
Wow. Great job on the plane. I looked around on Amazon for battery chargers for electrolysis and I couldn't tell which one would be best. Could you give any specs on your charger? Did you do disassemble the plane and put it in a basket or just derust it completely assembled? Thanks.

Randy Klein
09-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Wow. Great job on the plane. I looked around on Amazon for battery chargers for electrolysis and I couldn't tell which one would be best. Could you give any specs on your charger? Did you do disassemble the plane and put it in a basket or just derust it completely assembled? Thanks.

The charger I used is a Schumaker (sp?) from Autozone. It was $35 or so and can do 12v/2 amps, 12v/6 amps, 6v/6amps.

I started the plane completely assembled because I couldn't disassemble it. As the rust started coming off, I assembled what I could and then zapped them separately, but in parallel.

Joe Vincent
09-15-2008, 12:11 PM
The charger I used is a Schumaker (sp?) from Autozone. It was $35 or so and can do 12v/2 amps, 12v/6 amps, 6v/6amps.

I started the plane completely assembled because I couldn't disassemble it. As the rust started coming off, I assembled what I could and then zapped them separately, but in parallel.

Cool. What power level did you set the charger on? Thanks.

John Schreiber
09-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm amazed. I've passed on planes which looked like that figuring they were irrecoverable. I'll have to learn about electrolysis. Got any suggestions on where to learn.

Randy Klein
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm amazed. I've passed on planes which looked like that figuring they were irrecoverable. I'll have to learn about electrolysis. Got any suggestions on where to learn.

I googled electrolysis and rust and read whatever popped up on the first page of hits. Also, everything here and at Woodnet. Although this was my favorite: link (http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/).