PDA

View Full Version : Mixed media: stained glass bottom bowl

Josh Holden
09-12-2008, 4:00 PM
This is my second bowl (not including the burn pile), turned about 3 months ago. It's elm, finish turned green and allowed to warp, 12" x 11" x 3" with a walls between 1/4 - 3/8.

There's no hiding from you guys the reason the bottom isn't still wood -- I learned that you have to be more careful when using a rebate as opposed to a tenon. Had a rough 1/2" diameter hole in the bottom, and after some thinking decided to raid my mother's stained glass pile to make an insert. Cut the glass first, ground it round, then cut a matching rabbet in the bowl so the glass would sit flush.

This darker picture is taken with natural light to show how the grain in the bowl matches up with the streaks in the glass -- that was about 60% luck. (focus on where the right side of the glass meets the wood)

Definitely my best "save" so far -- I may start doing this on purpose!

Josh

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2008, 4:21 PM
Nice save Josh! Great idea and the glass does good pretty good with the grain! Now you have to find another place to sign your work!! LOL

Greg Just
09-12-2008, 4:37 PM
Great idea - I have an oak bowl that I need to "save" and I have a lot of stained glass. Years ago I did quite a bit of stained glass work.

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2008, 9:36 PM
Great idea and nice save. Looks good.