PDA

View Full Version : 3/4"Router bit Follow-up

Byron Trantham
05-09-2004, 9:00 PM
I posted a thread a week or so ago asking for ideas on how to make up for the router bit it was using. It's a 3/4" bit and the melamine I am cutting is 1/64" thicker! One or more of you guys suggested I use some tape on the edge of the router base and then re-cut. I was great advice the joints came out perfect! ;) Thanks.

In the mean time I came up with another method. I routinely use a Clamp 'N Guide to guide by circular saw and router over sheet goods. I borrowed another one and made a "channel" for the router. Now I don't have to worry about moving the router away from guide. In fact I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood whose width is exactly the width of the router base. Now I set up my guide line, install the first clamp, lay the plywood template next to it and finally clamp the last clamp in place. Remove the plywood and I have channel for the router base. :)

Tyler Howell
05-09-2004, 9:15 PM
In the mean time I came up with another method. I routinely use a Clamp 'N Guide to guide by circular saw and router over sheet goods. I borrowed another one and made a "channel" for the router. Now I don't have to worry about moving the router away from guide. In fact I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood whose width is exactly the width of the router base. Now I set up my guide line, install the first clamp, lay the plywood template next to it and finally clamp the last clamp in place. Remove the plywood and I have channel for the router base. :)Pix Byron, Now I'm acting kinda cheese. Not sure of the process:confused: So you rought out all that's in between the two guides?
Does your plywood gage have to change evey time the width of the board, thus routed channel changes??
Tx, I'm in a "be dificult" mood tonight.:o

Byron Trantham
05-09-2004, 9:31 PM
In the mean time I came up with another method. I routinely use a Clamp 'N Guide to guide by circular saw and router over sheet goods. I borrowed another one and made a "channel" for the router. Now I don't have to worry about moving the router away from guide. In fact I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood whose width is exactly the width of the router base. Now I set up my guide line, install the first clamp, lay the plywood template next to it and finally clamp the last clamp in place. Remove the plywood and I have channel for the router base. :)Pix Byron, Now I'm acting kinda cheese. Not sure of the process:confused: So you rought out all that's in between the two guides?
Does your plywood gage have to change evey time the width of the board, thus routed channel changes??
Tx, I'm in a "be dificult" mood tonight.:o
Na. That's the beauty of it. You measure the distance from the bit edge to the router plate edge and that's your starting point. Place the first clamp that distance from the desired cut then then plywood spacer and finally the last clamp. Imagine the two clamps with the router in between them. You could side the the trio left or right until the bit edge is where you want to cut but the distance between the clamps will always be the width of the router base. When I get the stuff in next Friday I will shoot some pics.

Howard Rosenberg
05-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Your explanation is thorough but I'm sure many of us would benefit GREATLY from some photos of your setup.
Thanks!
Howard

Mark Singer
05-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Fine woodworking had a similar video tip, I think it was Pat Warner...he used the board thickness and a piece of paper for an eaiser fit . Then he clamped both guides and used a top bearing bit....if I remember.