PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Tables

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Dear old Dad has been called upon to do some table markers for the wedding next Saturday. We're meeting tomorrow so I decided to come up with something as a place to start. This would be 1/4" black acrylic (her colors are black and dark red) with their initials engraved onto the base. Any better ideas or suggestions are welcome, but remember I haven't much time! You younger Dad's out there with girls, just wait!!!:eek:

For some reason the upload scrunched it but you get the idea. I was thinking 3" letters, 4" base, 8-12" high depending on the flower vase which I'll find out tomorrow.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Geeee, that brings back memories.

Not that this will work for you, I was "called" to do shot glasses with the new monogram on them, and then filled them with mints, then wraped with leftover frabic from her veil and tied with ribbons that were her colors.
What Dads go through.

Jack Harper
09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Joe,

Nice design. One other idea may be to place a life affirming or marriage phrase/quote on the bottom instead of initials. It may give more interest and also be reusable for a friends wedding. Given that tone of the wedding, a light, humorous phrase may work, although with those colors I am guessing it will be a formal night wedding.

Mike Null
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Joe

Great design and idea!

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2008, 3:19 PM
Geeee, that brings back memories.

Not that this will work for you, I was "called" to do shot glasses with the new monogram on them, and then filled them with mints, then wraped with leftover frabic from her veil and tied with ribbons that were her colors.
What Dads go through.
Ha, tomorrow my younger daughter will spend the day filling little boxes with personalized m&m's. No, I didn't laser them, had to order online.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2008, 3:25 PM
Joe,

Nice design. One other idea may be to place a life affirming or marriage phrase/quote on the bottom instead of initials. It may give more interest and also be reusable for a friends wedding. Given that tone of the wedding, a light, humorous phrase may work, although with those colors I am guessing it will be a formal night wedding.
Jack,

I did this as somewhere to start, and will pass along your suggestion. I also thought about a heart-shaped base but my wife says she doesn't want hearts on anything. It's an evening (weather permitting) wedding in the garden of a 1912 2-story brick schoolhouse, hopefully at sunset, and the reception inside to last until midnight. I will be wearing a black tuxedo.

Paul Brinkmeyer
09-12-2008, 4:00 PM
It's an evening (weather permitting) wedding in the garden of a 1912 2-story brick schoolhouse, hopefully at sunset, and the reception inside to last until midnight. I will be wearing a black tuxedo.

Does it have a bell tower?
All of our schools in the midwest had bell towers and that profile might look nice on the tables.

Jack Harper
09-12-2008, 4:07 PM
Not that you want to take this to extremes, but what about a doily pattern for the base, vector would be neat but raster might look nice too.

Nancy Laird
09-12-2008, 4:13 PM
Joe, I like the design you've come up with, and think it will work well - I got the impression that you are going to do these in pieces and assemble them, so I'd suggest a combined color scheme if you can get some dark red acrylic--the number in red, perhaps.

Just make sure you post a picture of you and the bride - we want to see you in your black tux!!

And best wishes to your daughter and her chosen guy!

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2008, 4:32 PM
Joe, I like the design you've come up with, and think it will work well - I got the impression that you are going to do these in pieces and assemble them, so I'd suggest a combined color scheme if you can get some dark red acrylic--the number in red, perhaps.

Just make sure you post a picture of you and the bride - we want to see you in your black tux!!

And best wishes to your daughter and her chosen guy!
Thanks. I will post a picture eventually. I have no source (at least in time) for the right red, sort of between cranberry and burgundy, and she wants just black rather than an imperfect red match!:rolleyes:

I will tell her about the doily pattern and the bell tower idea but maybe a profile of the building for the base. This place does not have a bell tower.
Here's the exterior shot, and the wedding garden, if the weather holds out:

Bill Cunningham
09-13-2008, 8:19 PM
Where you have the initials in the base, I would cut them out of the base, and replace them with the initials cut from red acrylic and inlaid into the base..
Just did a nice piece for a couple out of a 8.5 x 11" pure black granite, with their photo in the middle, and his vows down the left, and hers down the right, also a 8.5 x 11" beveled oval piece with their photo..
I have three daughters, two are married, the third is still hanging on.. Boy, am I glad the tradition of the wedding costs split between both sets of parents, and the couple are becoming the norm... Or I would 'still' be in debt..:eek:

Joe Pelonio
09-13-2008, 9:02 PM
Where you have the initials in the base, I would cut them out of the base, and replace them with the initials cut from red acrylic and inlaid into the base..

I made samples with all ideas including yours, Bill. She decided she preferred the subtle initials engraved into the base, and no other designs, but did like the idea of the red on it somewhere. Turns out my burgundy vinyl is a good match, so I'm applying it to the center of the upright "leg" in a sort of triangular shape. I'll post a picture eventually, right now I have to get going on some real work to get time to run these.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Here's the final version. I made 1-11, and managed to get the hole in the base to fit tightly without having to glue it.
I also decided to vector cut slightly into the face around where the vinyl goes, adds an extra touch.

Mike Null
09-15-2008, 1:07 PM
Joe

That looks good enough to market to wedding planners and hotels.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2008, 1:14 PM
Joe

That looks good enough to market to wedding planners and hotels.
Thanks, Mike, maybe I'll start with the place she's having it and see what they think.

Dee Gallo
09-15-2008, 1:16 PM
Joe that is absolutely brilliant! What a nice idea and so elegantly simple. What a nice Dad you are! I wonder if they will get swiped by the guests?

Hope the wedding went well, or is it next Saturday?

cheers, dee

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2008, 1:54 PM
Hope the wedding went well, or is it next Saturday?

cheers, dee
Next Saturday, and we need the extra week, I guarantee! Thursday I pick up tuxedos for myself and my son, Friday is rehearsal and a lunch after, then Saturday evening the wedding. It looks like we may have to move it indoors, after an amazingly sunny and dry September, every day so far, the forecast is for thundershowers Wed/Thur, then cloudy Friday and chance of showers Saturday!

Frank Corker
09-15-2008, 1:59 PM
I bet your missus is going to be saying "Oh Joe, he's around here somewhere" whilst some people are commenting on all the smoke coming from the exhaust on his lasering machine extractor port!