PDA

View Full Version : Blades for 12" SCMS

James White
09-12-2008, 9:43 AM
Sears has many saw blades on sale. The Craftsman Professionals seem to be re badged Freud/Avatis. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with these blades. In particular the 12" 96 tooth and 80 tooth for use in a SCMS. They have the tell tale Italy engraving seen on the Freud/Avanti blades. However there is no mention of the TiCo carbide. For oak trim in said saw. Which one would be best.

Craftsman profesional
96 tooth 7 deg
80 tooth 15 deg
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Power+Tool+Accessories_Blades? keyword=saw+blade&viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&&filter=Brand|Craftsman+Professional&lastFilter=Brand (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_12605_Tools_Power+Tool+Accessories_Blades? keyword=saw+blade&viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&&filter=Brand%7CCraftsman+Professional&lastFilter=Brand)

Avanti TK807 96 t 15 deg (requires I wait for shipping)

James

Prashun Patel
09-12-2008, 9:47 AM
Before you pull the trigger, you should check out Amazon. They have some killer prices on Avanti blades and they ship for free w/o tax.

scott spencer
09-12-2008, 2:50 PM
Hi James - I did try the Craftsman Pro 60T 10" and found it to be very similar to the Freuds (TK406, LU88, Diablo 1060). It does appear to be made by Freud, but it's difficult to get confirmation of that. Wood's last blade test rated the 40T Cman Pro pretty highly.

That aside - A 12" thin kerf blade is a very large span. I'd lean toward a full kerf for that diameter and a SCMS application if you can find one of comparable quality.

John Thompson
09-12-2008, 5:30 PM
You'll be hard pressed to get a full kerf for a SCMS, Scott. I looked at about every blade manufacturer for a 12" -5 degree negative hook and came up running on empty. It appears that because of the smaller motor pulling the 12".. most use the TK for the SCMS to avoid diminhing power.

Regards...

Sarge..

BTW OP... you would be best to get a negative hook ( - ) for the SCMS IMO. It doesn't matter on a standard miter saw but it does on a slider.

Sarge..

James White
09-12-2008, 5:54 PM
Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies. Note that all three of the blades I mentioned are on sale for $39. The rake angel seems to be the bad thing about the three. Considering the price. Do you think the Craftsman Pro 96 t 7 deg would be an ok compromise? That would be until I can upgrade after my house is done. That is when I will be using for furniture and the like. For now I just need to trim the house.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another blade? Priced too good to pass up.

James

scott spencer
09-12-2008, 8:20 PM
I haven't used that specific blades James, but it looks like it should do fine. You can always get a stabilizer for it if necessary.

CPeter James
09-12-2008, 8:21 PM
Be careful of blades with a positive hook angle on a SCMS or RAS. I have a dent in my chin the show why. They are grabby and will pull into the wood. Get a blade with a zero or negative hook angle. Dewalt has some decent ones that are priced reasonably. Or get a good one, either a Ridge Carbide RS 1000 or a Forrest Chopmaster.

CPeter

James White
09-12-2008, 9:00 PM
Peter,

Thank you for the warning. I have seen many people make the mistake of trying to use a SCMS like you would a radial arm saw. I worked for many years installing trim. However I was never responsible for purchasing the blades. It was always the boss who had that task. Therefore I never payed much attention to the details regrading the blades we were using.

I think I may have found a good blade. $41 shipped. Has anyone used this blade before. I believe the pitch is 0 deg.
Hitachi 726101 12-Inch 90 Tooth ATB Crosscutting

Edit: Yet another to consider. This one is 1/8" kerf. The price is climbing though. $69 shipped.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7474

scott spencer
09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Holbren has the full kerf version (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3533&cat=655&page=1) of that blade for ~ $56 after "SMC10" discount.

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2008, 5:19 AM
Do some searching on some other sites for the name xcesstooling. This is Mike Jackson at Leitz. He sells their excess inventory. Right now he has an 80 tooth,12", 1" bore blade, negative tooth for $25 and freight. I have bought several different blades from Mike and have been very pleased with what I got. His prices are as cheap as sharpening, when you include freight both ways.

scott spencer
09-13-2008, 7:31 AM
Do some searching on some other sites for the name xcesstooling. This is Mike Jackson at Leitz. He sells their excess inventory. Right now he has an 80 tooth,12", 1" bore blade, negative tooth for $25 and freight. I have bought several different blades from Mike and have been very pleased with what I got. His prices are as cheap as sharpening, when you include freight both ways.

The 8" HSS knives are gone.
The Leitz Pro Series 10" neg hook 30 tooth ATB is down to 8 pcs
The Delta 12" 80 tooth neg hook ATB (35-654) is down to 15 pcs

Good call Bruce.

Thomas love
09-13-2008, 7:45 AM
James, where did you find the Hitachi? I recomend it highly. I have a couple of them on my 12" saws. Lowes had them a while back. 41$ is a very good price. I have many forrest blades for table saws and never felt need to puchase one of them over the Hitachi For my scms. Thanks , Tom.

James White
09-13-2008, 8:27 AM
Thomas,

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-726101-12-Inch-Crosscutting-1-Inch/dp/B0006HKB42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1221308576&sr=8-3

Bruce,

I forgot about Mike. I purchased some blades from him last year. I was very pleased all the way around.

Scott,

That full kerf version has a 12 deg hook. The other is thin kerf. Strange though the model # is the same that I saw on another web site that stated it was 1/8" kerf.

James

James

scott spencer
09-13-2008, 9:59 AM
Thomas,

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-726101-12-Inch-Crosscutting-1-Inch/dp/B0006HKB42/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1221308576&sr=8-3

Bruce,

I forgot about Mike. I purchased some blades from him last year. I was very pleased all the way around.

Scott,

That full kerf version has a 12 deg hook. The other is thin kerf. Strange though the model # is the same that I saw on another web site that stated it was 1/8" kerf.

James

James

Sorry James....I missed that. :o The Delta Industrial made by Leitz will be a tough value to beat...full kerf, c4 carbide, precision manufacture, etc. IMO the Hitachi blade is not quite at that level, but if you can pick it up locally at least you don't have to wait.

James White
09-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Scott,

I emailed Mike this morning.

James

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2008, 9:49 PM
Sorry James....I missed that. :o The Delta Industrial made by Leitz will be a tough value to beat...full kerf, c4 carbide, precision manufacture, etc. IMO the Hitachi blade is not quite at that level, but if you can pick it up locally at least you don't have to wait.I have a couple of those Hitachi blades, and they were made in Germany. I'm trying to remember who else makes blades in Germany. Maybe they were made by the same company.:confused:

scott spencer
09-14-2008, 5:03 AM
I have a couple of those Hitachi blades, and they were made in Germany. I'm trying to remember who else makes blades in Germany. Maybe they were made by the same company.:confused:

Most Leitz blades are made in Germany, some China... I'm sure there are others from Germany but I don't know who. I had one Hitachi blade here and thought I've read and heard of some of them being made in France and China too.... :rolleyes: :confused: (dunno for sure!)

James White
09-14-2008, 2:31 PM
I believe that Amana is made in Germany as well. In fact I have one that says made in Germany.

James

John Thompson
09-14-2008, 3:03 PM
I believe that Amana is made in Germany as well. In fact I have one that says made in Germany.

James

I believe that Amana is made in Isarael by Dimar, James. I have several Amana rip blades that are indeed made in Israel. But... the Amana Age blades are indeed made in Germany.

Sarge..

Vijay Kumar
09-15-2008, 12:22 PM
How would you rate the following blades (in a12 inch) for a compound miter saw

1. Freud Avanti 96 tooth thin kerf TK 807
2. The Delta 35-654 12" z80 ATB -Negative Hook
3. Dewalt DW 3128 80 tooth ATB thin kerf

With shipping and taxes they all cost about the same (slightly less than $ 40). So which is the one to get?

Vijay