PDA

View Full Version : Exterior door painting Q.

Joe Tonich
05-09-2004, 7:19 PM
I bought a new storm door for my front door and want to paint the wood security(?) door and frame before I install it. I think what's on it is an oil based paint. I scuff sanded it w/220grit to get the shine off of it. (Heard that it makes paint stick better :confused: ) Do I need to use oil base paint again or can I use Latex? What would be the best to use?

Now that the sun came out and the land warmed up, it's Honey-Do season again! ;)

Thanks,

Joe

Jason Roehl
05-09-2004, 7:41 PM
What you really need is a bonding primer first, then a high-quality exterior acrylic, Joe. Talk to a paint store rep. (I prefer ICI/Dulux/Glidden or Sherwin-Williams for exterior products).

Phil Phelps
05-10-2004, 8:22 AM
Just to be fair and balanced, Joe, I prefer Benjamin Moore products. You'll probably have to pay more, though.

Russ Filtz
06-21-2005, 1:31 AM
I've had good luck with Zinnser exterior oil based primer. It's good for ANY combination of under and overcoats, so no worries about sticking with and oil/latex combo.

Frank Pellow
06-21-2005, 6:55 AM
I would definately go with an oil based paint for the door.

My basic rule is water based inside, oil based outside. About every 5 to 7 years, I break the "oil based outside" rule and every time I have regretted breaking that rule.