PDA

View Full Version : Which handles?

jason lambert
09-11-2008, 9:07 PM
Ok I know I can turn my own and will some day for now I just need to get set up. Besides I kind of like heavy handles, I knwo you can add lead shot... . I have used the long one way handle with a 1 1/4 ruffing guage and really liked it. I also got a small one way handle and put a thomson guage in it and it seems well, to short.

So I guess I want pretty much longer handles. My question is is there any disadvanage to long heavy handles, what tools should I not use them on? Should I also look at long short handles wil they have a more detailed feel.

What are your favorite handles I am not sold on the quality look of the one way's, I use one at a friends house, like it so bought one to get started but the handle doesn't excite me for lack of a better term.

I know this comes down to personal prefrence at some point but I need to start somewhere so any guidence is appreated.

Wilbur Pan
09-11-2008, 9:28 PM
Two personal observations:

1. I made what I thought was a too-long handle for my bowl gouge. Now I wish it was longer.

2. One of the few things I know how to make is a small top about 1" in diameter or less. For this, I use a 1 1/4" skew chisel with a 17" long handle made of white oak.

I don't think you need small tools to make small objects. In fact, I've found a longer handle will help with delicate cuts, if you grab the handle at the end. Because of the lever/fulcrum effect, if I hold the end of a 12" handle, and move my hand 1", the cutting edge of the tool will move farther than if I am holding the end of a 17" handle, and move my hand the same 1".

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2008, 9:28 PM
Jason - as you already are aware there are a number of different handles out there and it is more a matter of personal taste than anything else. I have the Monster Custom handle and love it. I have a Thompson 5/8" V bowl gouge mounted in it and have it filled full with BBs for additional weight. I use the gouge mainly for roughing out bowl and hollow form blanks - the handle length allows me to plant the tool along side my hip for support, the additional weight cuts down on vibration.

Like I mentioned - there are a number of handles out there but I find I really like the Monster. Check it out here: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

scott schmidt grasshopper
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
this one is on all my gouges except for a small P&N gouge
its pretty heavy and once you get used to the foam on the handle it is sweet. I have the inserts for all the differant sizes.
http://www.seriouslathe.com/
all my scrapers are in wood handles about 16 inches long. 1.5 to 2 inch diameter

Doug Thompson
09-12-2008, 3:03 AM
Jason - as you already are aware there are a number of different handles out there and it is more a matter of personal taste than anything else. I have the Monster Custom handle and love it. I have a Thompson 5/8" V bowl gouge mounted in it and have it filled full with BBs for additional weight. I use the gouge mainly for roughing out bowl and hollow form blanks - the handle length allows me to plant the tool along side my hip for support, the additional weight cuts down on vibration.

Like I mentioned - there are a number of handles out there but I find I really like the Monster. Check it out here: http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

:eek::eek::eek: You did it Steve! That post was enough to push me over the edge... I couldn't take it and bought another set. Randy has a 3 for 2 sale... I tell everyone not to buy a lot of tools but I can't pass up a deal.

robert hainstock
09-12-2008, 8:48 AM
I have two and half 25Lb. bags of lead shot that I would use for adding wieght to handles. for wooden handles I will simply drill a deep recess in the handle, fill it with shot and seal it with epoxy. :)
Bob

Hilel Salomon
09-12-2008, 9:03 AM
Robert,

Where do you get your lead shot? I bought some extra boxes of 20g shot shells and started to take them apart, when I realized I'd have a lot of live primers hanging around. Well, off to target practice!!!
Thanks, Hilel.

jason lambert
09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Helei any place that sells reloading supplies will have just lead shot. Also probably the cheapest is a dive store, they sell bags filled with lead shot for divers to weight them selfs down you can check that also.

Here is my favorite on line dive supply
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_961/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_3%3d283/AQULWS.html?Hit=1

5lbs is about $18