PDA

View Full Version : Richardson backsaws

Gary Herrmann
09-11-2008, 7:31 PM
I've seen a couple Richardson backsaws recently for sale. How do they compare to Disstons?

Thanks to you saw experts out there...

George Springer
09-13-2008, 1:01 PM
They are good saws. I prefer mine to the disston #4's I have.

GS

Alan DuBoff
09-13-2008, 3:07 PM
I've seen a couple Richardson backsaws recently for sale. How do they compare to Disstons?
Gary,

I was going to reply before, and decided not to, since some folks classify me as a "Disston Hater", due to some of the comments I've made. However, Disston made some of the most consistent handsaws, and that should not be overlooked.

As you probably know, Richardson was bought by Disston in 1890, along with Peace. I like the Peace saws better, but there seems to be some similarities in the NY makers, notably in the handle design. I have only 1 Richardson, and a few Peace saws, and 1 or 2 Darlington saws.

I find that most all of the saw makers produced quality saws, and one of the biggest reasons I like non-Disston saws is that I believe them to be more collectible, in the same sense of any collectible antiques, only because there are way more Disston saws, and more people are searching for Disston saws being that the name is synonymous with handsaws. A small Richardson sold for about $150 on ebay last week, and I don't watch saws very much these days, just happened to see it.

Most of the smaller guys had to source their steel from the U.K., or most likely buy from Disston as they were too small to manufacture it themselves. This could also be why so many were bought by Disston, realizing they would have a hard time competing with him...

Richardson made great saws, they have a bit of character to them, in that they are different. I admire any makers that do things a bit different. Speaking for myself, even if my saws are not better, I want them to be different. This is why I'm looking into slotting my backs out of bronze, and turning the split-nuts out of bronze. This alloy is more difficult to work with, and it is at least 2x more expensive, but once someone starts to work metal they can quickly discover that bronze is a superior alloy to brass in many ways. In that regard I admire Richardson for being different in regard to handle design, but that is easy to say for any non-Disston saw.

Again, quality wise the Disstons are the most consistent in my experience, but all the saws are excellent tools made in those days.

I would like to note. Handsaws were a real valuable commodity in those days, and why Disston was able to do as he did in amassing so much wealth, but it wasn't only Disston. In Simon Barleys' thesis on handsaws, he gathered a lot of information from one source, John Wilson comes to mind, who had a lot of records on pricing, product he was selling, etc...he was also involved in tobacco and other commodities. He doesn't appear to be a saw maker, but a saw dealer, and this is an important aspect to understand. While handsaws are not a monumental today with the advent of power tools, in their day the handsaw was one of the most cherished and respected tools in regard to being able to build homes, buildings, other structures. It truly was a commodity for many wishing to do so...to the point that wealthy folks into trading like John Wilson in England were buying/selling handsaws with tobacco...interesting combination, huh?

With that said, I am not a saw expert, I am barely a saw maker, and I am not even a professional woodworker, so take everything I say with a grain of salt if you like. I just find handsaws intriguing and I like them. Richardson made great saws, and there are fewer today than there are Disstons, so at some point in terms of collectible value , they will potentially be worth more to a collector.

Ray Gardiner
09-14-2008, 4:58 AM
Hi Gary,

You can find some Richardson Brothers History at

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS/saws/RichBros/richardsonBros.asp

They were incorporated in 1890 with Hamilton Disston (Henry's Eldest Son) as treasurer, and there is an interesting profile on Hamilton Disston here

http://members.aol.com/historictacony2/profile_hamilton.html

which outlines (among other things) the perils of investing in Florida Real Estate, at one time Hamilton Disston was apparently the largest landholder in the US, having purchased 4 million acres from the State of Florida.

Richardson Brothers, together with Wheeler, Madden & Clemson Mfg. Co, Harvey W Peace Co. and Woodrough & McParlin went on to form the National Saw Company Newark New Jersey. What the precise nature of the degree of control was exercised by Disston, perhaps someone else can answer. Either way it seems from the products they produced that they attempted to differentiate themselves in the marketplace from the Disston line of products.

As for the question are they better, that's a subjective assesment only you can make. :D

Regards
Ray