PDA

View Full Version : Freehand honing - 8" grinder OK or 6" better?

Rick Schubert
09-11-2008, 5:33 PM
I am interested in trying to sharpen freehand like the recent article in FWW described. (July/Aug issue) The author recommends using a 6" bench grinder because the smaller the wheel, the deeper the hollow. I assume a deeper hollow is easier to balance on the stone during freehand honing.

I have a Woodcraft slow speed 8" grinder and am thinking about getting a Norton blue wheel. Or should I switch to a 6" grinder to make honing easier? Has anyone compared honing with a 6" hollow vs an 8" hollow? I wonder if the difference is noticeable??

Or am I being annal about the whole thing?

Thanks, Rick

Joel Goodman
09-11-2008, 5:43 PM
Use what you have -- some folks will argue for 8", some for a 6" diameter wheel. Either will work. Also the thicker the blade the easier it is to freehand so start with your thickest blade to get the hang of it.

Michael Sobik
09-11-2008, 5:53 PM
I've got an 8" bench grider that I use to set bevels and do rough profiling. I specifically got the larger size instead of the 6" because there's LESS of a hollow. Although in reality I doubt there's much of a difference. Also, I think you get a wider wheel with the 8" which is a little nicer for chisels and such since you can get the whole blade on the wheel at once.

Frank Drew
09-11-2008, 9:57 PM
Unless the edge is nicked, I don't find much need to use a grinder on bench tools like chisels and plane blades. But turning tools, where you're using a grinder all the time, are different, and I prefer a larger wheel just because the hollow isn't so small.