PDA

View Full Version : Some figured poplar

Brian Brown
09-11-2008, 1:36 PM
I finished this a couple of months ago, but haven't had time to get pics. I really hurried the pics, but it does show the figure. This is poplar I rescued from a neighbor as he was heading to the dump. My what a surprise inside. I am not too crazy about the bark incluson, but it was there, and I liked the wood too much to toss it. I would like a critique on this one. It is about 8 inches wide, and 5 inches tall. Sanded to 800. It looks warped in the picture, but inverted on a flat table, it is not warped, unlike the other one I am posting today. This one is finished with tung oil fininsh from Minwax.

Paul Engle
09-11-2008, 2:51 PM
Very nice , the rim treatment is spot on , I kinda like the bark inclusion tho. and if the hybred poplar in my front yard has that kinda of grain .... it is in serious troulble....along with the silver maple .:eek:

Jim Becker
09-11-2008, 3:21 PM
Beautiful, Brian. Can you be more specific "what kind" of poplar this is? It doesn't appear to be tulip poplar which we most often refer to in the woodworking world (which is a member of the magnolia family), but rather something from the Aspen family. Correct?

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2008, 4:16 PM
Beautiful bowl Brian! Amazing wood! Nice curve to the bowl, a 'soft' finish and the bark actually works with this - kinda the Beauty and the Beast effect! Not 100% sure about the rim. I know Paul likes it - but from the photos it is hard to tell if you undercut the rim on the inside of the bowl. If you did - then the rim works for me, if not - then the angle seems a little to steep. Just an opinion!

robert hainstock
09-11-2008, 5:04 PM
You'll have everyone turning Popler soon. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
09-11-2008, 5:44 PM
That is a beauty Brian. The rim looks great as does the wood and form.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-11-2008, 5:55 PM
Hi Brian, that's good old Cottonwood is it ??, looks like it, and yes there's quite often beautiful curl in them by the large crotches.
You did a marvelous job IMO with it, bark looks nice, hope it stay, branch-wood less so.
Nice bottom and pretty rim treatment, well done :cool:

John Shuk
09-11-2008, 7:49 PM
That is gorgeous. It looks as unlike poplar as I've ever seen

Richard Madison
09-11-2008, 7:53 PM
Beautiful bowl with some beautiful figure. Thumbs up on the rim, but down on the bark. A very nice piece, but I might like it better without the bark. Could tell for sure if you would just send it here so I could get a close look.

Don Robert
09-11-2008, 7:56 PM
Wow! Very nice. I've always avoided poplar, thinking it was rather dull wood.

mike fuson
09-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Brian, I have never seen poplar look like that, but no matter what it is its a sharp piece . Congratulations.

Barbara Gill
09-12-2008, 6:09 AM
Beautiful, Brian. Can you be more specific "what kind" of poplar this is? It doesn't appear to be tulip poplar which we most often refer to in the woodworking world (which is a member of the magnolia family), but rather something from the Aspen family. Correct?

The Willow Family members are the true poplars, Cottonwood is in this Family.

Yellow-Poplar (AKA Tulip Poplar) is in the Magnolia Family as you said. Not even close to a true poplar.

Jim Becker
09-12-2008, 8:11 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Barbara.

Barbara Gill
09-12-2008, 9:04 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Barbara.

You are welcome.

curtis rosche
09-12-2008, 4:51 PM
amazing wood and nice form

Frank Kobilsek
09-12-2008, 5:09 PM
Brian,
I saw the title of your post and thought 'there is no such thing as figured poplar'. Well does does good work and so do you.

The bark inclusion is good. The worry might be that it does not stay in place. But for now I like you should too.

I have taken to a more upright bowl form the last several months. For pieces that I wish to decorate the exterior this shape seems to add more visiblity to the extra work. Works for figured wood too.

Frank

Keith Burns
09-12-2008, 8:29 PM
Brian, I don't care if you call it Ebony wood, it is a very nice bowl ! Nice work.

Brian Brown
09-12-2008, 9:04 PM
Can you be more specific "what kind" of poplar this is? It doesn't appear to be tulip poplar which we most often refer to in the woodworking world (which is a member of the magnolia family), but rather something from the Aspen family. Correct?

Jim,

This is poplar from the aspen/cottonwood/poplar family. It is a hybrid poplar that is grown here as an ornamental, because it grows fast, and is somewhat drought tolerant.

I always thought poplar was dull until I saw this tree. When I searched this forum, I was always seeing tulip poplar. I just got this wood for practice, and surprise, surprise, surprise.

Paul Engle
09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Yea the hybrid poplars are very fast growing I have one , it sort shaped like the convential wind break variety tall and slender, planted close together . Mine came as a 6 ft tall sapling and in 4 years was up to 28 feet and maxed out about 35 feet in less than 6 years, funny though not supposed to throw seeds and did the last two years looking like cottonwood.One of my neighbors has 12 of them planted across from us and really cuts the wind back on his house. My only gripe is the root system came to the surface and the X they formed makes my back hurt when I mow the grass....:eek: