PDA

View Full Version : Dado Recommendations ??

Billy Reynolds
05-09-2004, 2:47 PM
Hey folks, I'm new to SMC and woodworking. Thanks to the recommendation of a fellow worker "Dennis Peacock", I'm the proud owner of a new Jet 10" left tilt table saw. I'm looking for recommendations for a stacked dado set for use with the TS.

Thanks

Jim Becker
05-09-2004, 2:49 PM
My personal favorite is the Forrest DadoKing, but the Freud SD508 is also worthy of your consideration if you need a more moderate price tag. Both dados cut excellently and have four tooth chippers. The Forrest has a slight edge in overall performance (and without shims is almost exactly sized for today's undersized plywood), but the Freud stacks up :D just fine.

Thomas Glenn
05-09-2004, 3:53 PM
Welcome from another Arkie. Forrest makes a very fine blade

.would be a good choice.

Chris Padilla
05-09-2004, 7:01 PM
CMT's precision dado has given me several years of great cuts.

Jim Barrett
05-09-2004, 10:11 PM
I have the Forrest Dado King and love it! In fact I have used nothing by Forrest blades for the past 12+ yrs. A little more expensive but IMHO worth it!

JimB

Erik Rudd
05-10-2004, 12:15 AM
I just bought a Forrest Dado King about a month ago. I've used in on several projects and love the results. I also like the WWII 40T, it produces much better cuts than my Frued LU84R.

Erik

Tom Hintz
05-10-2004, 7:31 AM
I recently reviewed (and still use) the Infinity "Dadonator" stacked set. I have never had a dado set that performed even close to this. The cuts are ultra-precise, the bottoms flat and very, very smooth and the stack widths easy to set up, partly because of the machining and part due to the enclosed stack table they include.
See the review with photos at the link below. Yo might also check the link to thier site as they were selling this set at a reduced price, around $180!

http://www.newwoodworker.com/infdado.html

John Miliunas
05-10-2004, 8:27 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Billy! Great place to hang out.

Well, thus far, I think you've gotten great suggestions, but allow me to throw mine into the works. I used to have the Freud 6" stacked set, which performed admirably. After upgrading to a cabinet saw with a bit more oooooomph, I also upgraded to the Freud D600, "Dial-A-Width" unit. A bit pricey, but man, what a cut! You can literally, as the name implies, dial this thing in to fit most *any* width necessary (within its range, of course) and it's really easy to do it, without having to pull the whole stack apart to fit shims. FWIW, I otherwise run Forrest for most all of my other cutting tasks, but this Freud kicks some serious butt and is a great time-saver. :cool:

Byron Trantham
05-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Welcome Billy!

Here is yet another vote for the Forrest Dato King. :D

Dennis Peacock
05-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Well Billy.....I have the Freud Super Dado set.....has worked really good for me for about 6 years now. It's hard to go wrong with Forrest...even though I don't own a single piece of Forrest blades anywhere.

BTW, Your buddy for septic system work....does NOT do that work any more. I guess I really need to get in that line of work since you can't find anyone around here that does that kind of work any more.

BUT....I may have my problem fixed and all it has taken so far is a lot of Sweat, a stick of 3" PVC and four 5 Gal buckets of gravel from the driveway. :) I guess we'll see if I fixed it or now in time. :D

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-10-2004, 1:51 PM
Billy
Now, I throw another "IF" into the foraigh (whatever that means and the spelling is incorrect)
I have a Jet contractors saw - SOOOOOOOO
it was suggested to me to use a 6" dado set - because of lack of Horse Power.
(smaller diameter)
BUT - now, I got to thinking -----
The 6 inch set makes less of an arch when you are making a stop dado - hmmmmmmm I says. Is that good?
That means less work with a chisel in order to get a square corner stop dado.
Maybe a 6 inch set is the way to go if you aren't going to make dados or half lap joint in 2 x 4s or 2 x 6s.
So to answer the question my 6 inch dado set is a SYSTEMATIC.
Daniel :D

Billy Reynolds
05-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Folks thanks for all the recommendations. I'm presently using a Forrest WoodWorker II and really like it. I decided to go with the Freud SD508 as it was a better fit for the budget, as I could also squeeze in a needed tenioning jig for the TS. :)

Thanks

Jim VanBramer
05-11-2004, 9:54 AM
I have a Jet contractors saw - it was suggested to me to use a 6" dado set - because of lack of Horse Power.
I'm also looking to pick up a dado set, and have a JET contractors saw. Anybody else out there have an opinion on this (I realize that's a pretty silly statement to make on THIS forum! :D ) 6" vs 8" on a contractor saw??

Byron Trantham
05-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Jim, I used a Forrest Dato King on a Sears contractor's saw for about 6 years with any performance problems. I suspect your Jet is much better than my old Sears unit. :D

Mark Stutz
05-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Jim,
I have a JET contractor,s saw, and use the 8" Forrest Dado set with absolutely now problems. Never felt the saw was underpowered when cutting dadoes.

Mark

larry merlau
05-13-2004, 8:36 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Billy! Great place to hang out.

this Freud kicks some serious butt and is a great time-saver. :cool:
hey john, in reguards to your freud dial a width will it work on a old craftsman contractor saw, it has a full size 5/8 shaft but the horse power is where i am wondering and what i have read it needs alot of shaft to work? thanks larry

John Miliunas
05-13-2004, 8:45 AM
Larry, as I understand it, the older C'man saws are gutsier than the new ones, but I still may hesitate w/the Dial.... Freud unit. It IS heavier and does eat up a LOT of arbor. I'm not sure what you've got for arbor length, but I'd be happy to measure mine when I get home this evening and get back to you on it. I know that when I use all the chippers, there's not a whole lot of arbor left on mine. :cool:

larry merlau
05-13-2004, 8:48 AM
[well i would appreciate that john, my crfstman is at least back in the early 80's possible late 70;s willcheck my arbor as well to compar to yours whe you get back to me thanks fo rthe reply. sears did have some good tools:)

John Miliunas
05-13-2004, 10:03 PM
[well i would appreciate that john, my crfstman is at least back in the early 80's possible late 70;s willcheck my arbor as well to compar to yours whe you get back to me thanks fo rthe reply. sears did have some good tools:)

Larry, just went out and checked mine on the Bridgewood. Total arbor thread goes out to 1-3/8" from the inside flange. :cool: