PDA

View Full Version : Windows security system vs Norton

dennis thompson
09-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Is anyone out there using the Windows Security system that comes with windows? vs Norton ,who just told me it's time to renew
Thanks
Dennis

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-11-2008, 2:18 PM
I think Norton will give you better coverage than anything MicroCrash offers.

But then Norton has it's issues too. It takes over your system causing slow boots and it steps all the hell over your Registry and is near impossible to get out. Even the Norton Removal tool won't do a decent job.

My copy went KAFELEWY on me and told me my subscription was over - only haf way through the license period. Norton had a "fix" on their website but it was no fix.

When I complained some character at norton sent me three or so pages of instructions on how to clear the registry. I asked if they were paying my hourly rate for me fixing their mistakes. They didn't reply.

I won't buy their product again.

Robert Eiffert
09-11-2008, 2:33 PM
Our windows machines have their Security Center Firewall set to default levels except for allowing media server port opened (only to local network).

Our computers are behind a router so there is one more level of firewall protection there. Unless you're on dialup, that is an effective way to boost security even with only one computer in the house.

We've been happy (and virus free) for several years using AVG (http://free.avg.com/) and Avast (http://www.avast.com/). Both free for home use.

FireFox has Phishing and Malware Protection also. I think it is turned on (preferences/security) by default. Windows Defender (spyware detector) is also running on our Windows machines.

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2008, 6:16 PM
Norton and McAfee don't like you to use anything else so there are problems when you try to do other things like adware programs. Since many computers come with it free for a trial period, we use it until then, uninstall it and then add others like AVG, Spybot, Syware Doctor and Noadware that seem to get along with each other. The windows security is the most common target of the hackers and virus writers, they love to attack Microsoft, as you probably know from all the constant Windows updates to address security issues. I also use Firefox for the same reason, not the same kind of problems as IE.

David Freed
09-11-2008, 8:26 PM
I use AVG. Norton and McCaffee are both overrated.

Eric Larsen
09-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't use a damned thing.

Everything I care about is backed up securely. I can reformat this box and have it back to "it never happened" in about 4 hours.

I haven't had to do that in more than five years. All those "security" programs ever did for me was slow down my computer.

I *do* use anti-spyware software, but that's it. Virus, schmirus.