PDA

View Full Version : Delta hybrid saw question

Laurie Brown
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM
I bought a Delta hybrid table saw a while back, model 36-714. I see that many of the newer saws come with a tableboard extension on the right side, but mine didn't have one. Is this something I can order from Delta? I've looked around on their web site but can't find any mention of it.

scott spencer
09-11-2008, 2:00 PM
Hi Laurie - The table extension that came with the Biesemeyer fences was plagued by warpage because it's a poor design. Many people replaced them. It's really easy to make an extension....

Laurie Brown
09-11-2008, 2:27 PM
Can you point me somewhere where I can get instructions or plans for making one?

James White
09-11-2008, 3:14 PM
Hi Lori,

My Delta hybrid came with the extension table. However, I have not installed it due to the fact that it was warped. I do not know the model # off hand but it came with the Biesemeyer clone that delta offers. I will eventually make my own extension. Please do not feel like you missed out on something by not getting the extension table included with your purchase.

James

scott spencer
09-11-2008, 3:27 PM
Can you point me somewhere where I can get instructions or plans for making one?

What fence came with your 36-714?

There might be some ideas you can use here (http://woodgears.ca/delta_saw/router_table.html). Any surface that'll fit between the rails should work. I've historically turned my extension into a router wing, but you can just skip the router part and make a flat surface.

Matthew Voss
09-11-2008, 3:56 PM
This is from the bies manual:

Laurie Brown
09-11-2008, 5:25 PM
What fence came with your 36-714?

It came with the Delta-made clone of the Biesemeyer, which is why I can't use the kind of outfeed table that connects to the back rail. Instead of shaped like an L, mine is an upside-down L. ;)

scott spencer
09-11-2008, 6:14 PM
It came with the Delta-made clone of the Biesemeyer, which is why I can't use the kind of outfeed table that connects to the back rail. Instead of shaped like an L, mine is an upside-down L. ;)

My GI Biese clone had a similar rear rail...it's for the tail foot to ride on IIRC. You can drill those rails and put a bolt through the frame of the extension....assuming you use a design like the Matthew Voss showed. Or you can hang an L-bracket off the rails and set the frame on that.

You might get more Google hits if you search for mounting a router table in the wing vs an extension table. Then you can just extrapolate the ideas.

Glenn Howard
09-11-2008, 7:29 PM
The 36-714 was the model number of the base saw only. I don't believe that it was sold as a stand alone saw. The fence option determined the actual model number. The same owner's manual (36-714) was included with each of the three saw packages.

The 36-715 came equipped with the T2 fence.
The 36-716 came with a Unifence.
The 36-717 came with a true Biesemeyer.

The 716 and 717 included the extra tableboard extension to the right. The 715 with the T2 fence did not.

As the owner of a 715, I've done this research already.

Laurie, from your description, I believe you also have the 715 and your fence is a T2, which explains why you have no tableboard extension.

Laurie Brown
09-11-2008, 7:53 PM
The 36-714 was the model number of the base saw only. I don't believe that it was sold as a stand alone saw. The fence option determined the actual model number. The same owner's manual (36-714) was included with each of the three saw packages.

The 36-715 came equipped with the T2 fence.
The 36-716 came with a Unifence.
The 36-717 came with a true Biesemeyer.

The 716 and 717 included the extra tableboard extension to the right. The 715 with the T2 fence did not.

As the owner of a 715, I've done this research already.

Laurie, from your description, I believe you also have the 715 and your fence is a T2, which explains why you have no tableboard extension.

Ah, ok. All I know is that's the model number on the saw, and I bought it from a guy who had eight of them in a truckload. It probably is a T2 fence, although I don't know how to identify it. I just wondered if I could get that tableboard that ships with the other saws as an optional piece. I may have to try to make one.

I would love to have a true Bies fence, but can't afford one.

Glenn Howard
09-11-2008, 8:00 PM
If this is your fence...you have a T2

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41F957FX1PL._SS500_.jpg

Laurie Brown
09-11-2008, 8:02 PM
Yep, that looks like it. ;) It's not a bad fence, really. Far and away better than the aluminum POS that was on my old Craftsman saw. Which I plan to get rid of soon.