PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturer Wish List

Brian Robison
09-11-2008, 10:51 AM
In the past folk have wished for certain features on lasers. The manufactures are smart enough to look at Saw Mill Creek often and we've seen them respond to their customers thanks in part to this forum. I want to get the ball rolling here for features that would be helpful. Some lasers already have these features.

(1) Time Estimator
(2) Pass through doors
(3) High density optics option
(4) Air solenoid programmable for combined Raster and Vectoring
(5) Easy to PM and clean
(6) USB, Serial Port and Ethernet options as well as wireless.
(7) Built in vector grid and vacuum hold down.
(8) Ability to mark on stainless without cermark.

Doug Griffith
09-11-2008, 11:15 AM
9) internal/external port for interfacing with basic functions. (ie. is job running, start job, end job)
10) z-axis saved with job
11) z-axis controllable via color mapping or...

Scott Challoner
09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
I would like to be able to enter a Z offset per color. Right now I can auto focus per color, but I would like to be able to raise or lower the table automatically depending on if I'm rastering or vector cutting. This would be for LaserPro.

David Fairfield
09-11-2008, 11:24 AM
1) I'd like a better rotary with no wobble-- specifically, an option to screw in a three jaw lathe head so I can clamp the part tight and directly on center. How hard can it be to put a threaded shaft on the axis of rotation?

2) Wishful thinking :rolleyes: -- a mirror that can pivot to 45 degrees so I can make miter cuts. Great for dovetails, picture matt board and scale model structure walls. That would kick ass. :D

Dave

Mike Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 12:26 PM
The Universal systems have had most of these functions / features for a long time.

Doug Griffith
09-11-2008, 12:39 PM
The Universal systems have had most of these functions / features for a long time.

All the more reason why Epilog and the others should step up and evolve their systems. Epilog's reputation for great service can only hold so much weight in purchasing decisions when the competition has more hardware features and more powerful drivers.

John Bowden
09-11-2008, 1:37 PM
12) An “erase” function to put material back when I screw up!:D

Ed Maloney
09-11-2008, 5:17 PM
Interior light. Sometimes the flames don't light up the bed enough! :D

Mike Null
09-12-2008, 9:10 AM
Brian

I'll echo what Mike said except mine's a Trotec. It has most of the features/options you're mentioning and more.

David Fairfield
09-12-2008, 9:40 AM
Driver that's fine tuned for use with either Adobe Illustrator or Corel, and tech support for Adobe users. (Side note-- Adobe WILL run on the Epilog problem free, with proper formatting by the user.)

Dave

Chip Peterson
09-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Interior light. Sometimes the flames don't light up the bed enough! :D

My Trotec has this feature, and I find it very valuable.

I do like the bevel cut idea mentioned above. That could be awesome!

Rob Bosworth
09-12-2008, 4:32 PM
And to make sure that the manufactures can sell these machines at less than $ 10,000 . More features for less money.:rolleyes:

Darren Null
09-12-2008, 8:15 PM
I want a sackfull of money, a couple of boullion bars and some bearer bonds left in the bottom of the machine; to get you over the learning curve.

Also, self-alignment....that's possible.

martin g. boekers
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
improved rotary device, mine is inconsistant at times and has some slip on larger beer steins. (I have to reverse the way the mug sets to engrave the opposite side the handle has so much weight and is off center that gravity pulls it down)

Profiles in the driver for substrates and photographs.

I try to keep my engraving process a simple as I can too many bells & whistles
can be trouble down the road as far as maintenance goes.

Craig Hogarth
09-15-2008, 1:14 AM
I doubt this would ever happen, but my dream laser would have a projector that projects the image onto the material exactly as it be lasered. That would convince me to upgrade immediately.