PDA

View Full Version : Shelix on a DW735, anyone?

Steven Almas
09-11-2008, 9:47 AM
It looks like Holbren is carrying the Shelix for the DW735 now. It's $339 and with the SMC 10% coupon, it's 305 and change. I'm really tempted to get this since I don't have the room for a larger planer for the forseeable future and will be using the 735 for a while.

The installation looks a little complicated, but doable. Anyone else interested in this?

Installation PDF is here:
http://www.holbren.com/misc/DW735.pdf

Wade Lippman
09-11-2008, 10:19 AM
I was going to wait a week or two to ask this question...

What is the SMC coupon?

Fred Belknap
09-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Interesting post. Looks complicated but probably easier than the explanation. With new blades $50 it seems like there would have to be more benefits than long lasting. Would the Shelix head work better,easier,etc? That is almost as much as I gave for my 735 after rebate. This is my first post here. I have lurked for a while and thought I would join. Looking to learn and if possible help where I can.
Fred

Brad Townsend
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I am very interested, for the same reasons you are. In fact, I posted awhile back asking why something like this wasn't available, as I thought there was a market for it.

It may seem foolish to spend that kind of money on a portable planer, but for someone who doesn't have the space or the wiring for a full-blown induction motor heavy iron planer, this could make sense. This would eliminate the one major complaint with this machine; the short life of the disposable knives.

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I have one on the way but nothing to report yet.

Steven Almas
09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I was going to wait a week or two to ask this question...

What is the SMC coupon?

SMC10 is the 10% code for Holbren.

Steven Almas
09-11-2008, 10:44 AM
I have one on the way but nothing to report yet.

Sweet, please let us know how it works, installs, and sounds (the indexed spiral head should quiet down the planer, no?).

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Sweet, please let us know how it works, installs, and sounds (the indexed spiral head should quiet down the planer, no?).

That's the primary reason (the noise) I ordered it. I'm considerate of my neighbors but I would like to be able to work a little later in the evenings.

Steven Almas
09-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Michael,

I do have one more question, do you know if the new head comes with a set of bearings? The installation instructions show a new set of NTN bearings being installed, but Holbren doesn't indicate if they're sent as part of the kit.

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
When Brian and I were emailing, I got the impression it would be good to go without modification but I'll find out today or tomorrow. :)

William OConnell
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Interesting post. Looks complicated but probably easier than the explanation. With new blades $50 it seems like there would have to be more benefits than long lasting. Would the Shelix head work better,easier,etc? That is almost as much as I gave for my 735 after rebate. This is my first post here. I have lurked for a while and thought I would join. Looking to learn and if possible help where I can.
Fred

Good to see you jumped in

Jeff Monson
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
I've also got 1 coming, I have 3 sets of worn out blades at 50$ a pop I can easily justify the byrd head.

If it cuts down on the noise and I can plane more than 50bf of maple without changing blades I'll be a very happy camper as I like this machine and dont have room for a floor model.

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Michael,

I do have one more question, do you know if the new head comes with a set of bearings? The installation instructions show a new set of NTN bearings being installed, but Holbren doesn't indicate if they're sent as part of the kit.

Stevin,
Sorry about that, but I misread your question when I answered before. I assumed the bearing would come with the cutter head but I guess we will find out shortly. :)

Rob Wright
09-11-2008, 11:20 AM
That looks great. I haven't had a problem with my knives and I feel as though I have put a lot of lumber through the machine - guess I have been lucky.

I would be really interested in the perceived volume reduction from the unit. The whine of the universal motor and the knives are currently driving me nuts!

Look forward to updates

BTW - the install did not look too bad IMHO - nice write up and great pictures to go along with it in the PDF directions linked above

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Rob,
I have a friend that has the Dewalt and saw a demo in Atlanta and said the difference was amazing. I have no first hand knowledge of that though.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I guess it looks pretty straightforward......but voiding the warranty bugs me. I still have 2 new 'edges' to work through before I even need to consider a replacement though....

Andy Casiello
09-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Fred

Welcome, Fred! I just jumped in here myself, and the water is great! Nice folks, honestly trying to help each other - friendly, etc! I've already learned a lot here. I'm pretty new to woodworking so I'm taking more than I'm giving at the moment. I'm sure that will turn around soon...

Andy

Mike Henderson
09-11-2008, 3:45 PM
I went looking but didn't find it for $339 - what I found (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=4537&cat=811&page=1) was listed at $439.

Did the OP just get a number wrong or am I looking at the wrong thing? Or did they up the price all of a sudden?

Mike

Steven Almas
09-11-2008, 4:33 PM
I went looking but didn't find it for $339 - what I found (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=4537&cat=811&page=1) was listed at $439.

Did the OP just get a number wrong or am I looking at the wrong thing? Or did they up the price all of a sudden?

Mike

Wow, the price did go up. It was $339 this morning and I had it in my cart for 305 but decided to wait until the other Mike got his.

Well, that kinda sucks.

Brian Gumpper
09-11-2008, 4:35 PM
Mike,

I just called to check and here is what happened. The price on it is $439 but Byrd is running a special at $339 so we matched it but aren't making any money at that price. Well, when the orders came over today with the discount applied putting the dea lin the red, the special price of $339 was removed. I'll put it back at $339 but will not allow the discount at that price. Giving stuff away is OK to get some of these in the field (the reason Byrd is running the special) but losing on each is another deal.

Sorry for the confusion and if anyone thinks they were deceived. BTW, the Byrd special is until the end of the month. They will be $439 after that but the discount will still work. $339 is still a better price and we offer free sihpping which Byrd doesn't.

Michael McCoy
09-11-2008, 5:28 PM
Mike,

Sorry for the confusion and if anyone thinks they were deceived. BTW, the Byrd special is until the end of the month. They will be $439 after that but the discount will still work. $339 is still a better price and we offer free sihpping which Byrd doesn't.

Just for the record....I think I probably got one of the first from Brian and there was no discount applied at the $339 price. He told me via email that he wasn't making anything on the deal. Brian doesn't need me defending but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Jeff Monson
09-11-2008, 8:36 PM
Brian, so those of us that ordered and checked out at 305.00 is this price going to be honored??

John Stevens
09-11-2008, 8:54 PM

I own a jointer with a Shelix head, and IMO, this unit is a bargain even at $439. IMO, the best features, a two-way tie for first place, are the noise reduction and absence of tear out even in heavily figured wood.

I own a Ridgid planer and it's great, but the Shelix head on my jointer has me spoiled. I've wished for years that Byrd would make a spiral head for lunchbox planers. The blades will probably still be sharp even after the universal motor burns out. I was going to buy a Jet combo once the spiral head option became available, but now I'm considering buying a DW735 just so I can put that head on it. Yes, really.

It's funny, but a Byrd head for a stationary planer of approx the same width runs well over $1,000, so I wonder how Byrd can afford to sell these even at a price of $439.

Regards,

John

Peter Quinn
09-11-2008, 9:35 PM
Hmmm, I have a DW735 siting unused in a corner 'cause the knives suck' and my Delta beats its pants off and its 'a bit noisy' ie:herd of buffalos noisy. Occasionally I need carbide knives, and they are expensive. for the delta, somewhat cheaper for the dewalt from Infinity. I'm considering a shelix head, but the delta is old and I'm not spending $800 on a head for that one, I don't even want to buy another set of carbide tipped knives for it.

Is this the way to go? Shelix for the DW735 for 'occasional' use and HSS for the delta, or new planer with a shelix head and lose em both?

Brian Gumpper
09-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Brian, so those of us that ordered and checked out at 305.00 is this price going to be honored??

Yes

Current price is $339 no discount. After Sept. 30 price will be $439 with the 10% discount. Free shipping in both cases.

Installation instructions and some photo's if anyone's interested.

DW735 Shelix (http://www.holbren.com/misc/dw735.pdf)

Brian Gumpper
09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Peter,

What model Delta do you have? I sell a fair number for the old RC33/DC33 and the newer DC380. One nice thing about these heads is about a 50% reduction in noise on most machines.

To answer your last question, buying new power tools is always the right answer. :D

Alan Schaffter
09-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Peter,

What model Delta do you have? I sell a fair number for the old RC33/DC33 and the newer DC380. One nice thing about these heads is about a 50% reduction in noise on most machines.

To answer your last question, buying new power tools is always the right answer. :D

Brian, any chance the price will come down on a Shelix for a 20" Delta RC-51? Like maybe you have one laying around that you haven't been able to get rid of? :) :) :) :)

Andy Howard
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
It's funny, but a Byrd head for a stationary planer of approx the same width runs well over $1,000, so I wonder how Byrd can afford to sell these even at a price of $439.

John

John,

I have a byrd head on my jointer and love it. I also have a DW735....so you can see where this is going.

As for the price. The larger planers have a larger diameter cutting head, which leads to more rows of inserts. The Dewalt model has 39 inserts (3 rows of 13). The Byrd head for a 15" stationary planer has 96 (6 rows of 16). At $3 an insert you are looking at $117 for the dewalt, vs. $288 for the 15" head for just the inserts. I would say that is the main reason the dewalt head is less.

And now that you got me crunching numbers, the 8" jointer head I bought was $350, with 56 inserts (+5 spares). If you go with a $3 cost per replacement insert, then right at 50% of the cost of the head is in the inserts. Likewise, the 15" planer head is $599 at Grizzly, and would have 101 inserts (96 + 5 spare) at a replacement cost of $303. Again, right at half. Hmm....now I am thinking the cost of the dewalt head is overpriced compared to the number of inserts it has. I will most likely get one, but it makes me wonder if they arent putting a premium on them.

Andy

Steven Almas
09-12-2008, 8:34 AM
Well, after some thought, I decided to pick up the Shelix. Once it arrives, I will relay my experiences.

Ken Slemmer
09-12-2008, 1:11 PM
Steve, I will be purchasing a DW 735 soon.
Yes, please post on how the shelix installation goes and improvement in the operation of the 735. The installation looks fairly straight forward.

Gary Herrmann
09-12-2008, 2:11 PM
There was a question earlier about bearings coming with Shelix heads. If someone already answered - my apologies. You can get bearings with them, but you need to ask and they cost extra. At least that's how it was when I ordered mine.

Btw, Brian was very helpful throughout the purchasing process.

Steven Almas
09-12-2008, 2:28 PM
There was a question earlier about bearings coming with Shelix heads. If someone already answered - my apologies. You can get bearings with them, but you need to ask and they cost extra. At least that's how it was when I ordered mine.

Btw, Brian was very helpful throughout the purchasing process.

Hrmm... This is good info. I ordered over the net so I just bought the head and nothing else. Gary, you mind letting us know which bearing you ordered? Or if Brian is still keeping up with this thread...could you enlighten us?

Brian Gumpper
09-12-2008, 2:45 PM
I should get all the bearing costs and add them as an option. I just called and a set of two bearings is an $18.75 adder.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-12-2008, 2:48 PM
there's no way to just reuse the existing bearings?

Brian Gumpper
09-12-2008, 2:55 PM
there's no way to just reuse the existing bearings?

Most do, that's why I never bothered to add them. Byrd will send them pressed on if they can (some need to be pressed on after another operatin) which some folks like.

Steven Almas
09-12-2008, 3:00 PM
I should get all the bearing costs and add them as an option. I just called and a set of two bearings is an $18.75 adder.

Are these on the website or do I have to call to have them added to my order?

Brian Gumpper
09-12-2008, 3:04 PM
Don't call, they'll have no clue. I'm on the road so I'll get in touch with you later or tomorrow.

Bill Fleming
09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't find the DW 735 version on the Byrd website? Is this really an offered product?

thx Bill

Brian Gumpper
09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
There are a lot of heads missing on their website. They have a master list but for some reason don't put them all in their catalog or on the website. The DW735 head became available to the public right after IWF.

James Biddle
09-14-2008, 7:58 PM
I put a Byrd head on my jointer and replaced my old 15" planer with a new one with a Byrd head installed. Both had a noticable noise level drop. I also have a Dewalt 735 and I do question just how much of that screaming vacuum cleaner noise would be reduced by the head. Seems like more of a Universal motor noise than the head. ...could be wrong...

Also, keep an eye on Amazon for 735 knives. I just picked up a few sets for $37.10.

Tom Esh
09-14-2008, 8:14 PM
...I also have a Dewalt 735 and I do question just how much of that screaming vacuum cleaner noise would be reduced by the head. Seems like more of a Universal motor noise than the head. ...could be wrong...

Same here. Given that universal motor and chip blower, the 735 is half screaming vac anyway. I'd love to have a Shelix on it, but I'm guessing the neighbors would still know when it's running.:)

Steven Almas
09-15-2008, 8:05 PM
Brian contacted me and said that my Shelix is back-ordered 4 weeks. He said that Byrd totally under estimated the demand and is trying to catch up. Just FYI for anyone looking to order one.

BTW, anyone receive theirs?

Gary Click
09-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Just ordered mine. This will correct the biggest flaw in this tool. The knives seem to have a very short liife until they loose their edge when used on hardwoods.

I have been able to regrind the DeWalt knives by placing them on my surface grinders magnetic chuck, bevel down and taking a few 10th's off the back. They seem to last as long as a new knife after grinding but it is time consumming and if the knife is nicked I can't get that out.

I have a Shelix Head in my jointer and the difference is remarkable.

Brian Gumpper
09-17-2008, 4:51 PM
I checked with Byrd and anyone ordering bearings with the head will get them BOTH pressed on by Byrd. Often they can do just one but with this head they can do both.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-17-2008, 5:01 PM
Has anyone attempted to "disconnect" the chip eject fan and see if that helped with the noise? I assume you wouldn't want to do this without a DC attached, but with a strong enough DC, maybe the eject fan would not be needed...

Doug Shepard
09-17-2008, 5:46 PM
Just out of curiousity, what does switching to a Shelix head do to the warranty with DeWalt? Void?

Craig Coney
09-17-2008, 7:11 PM
How do you order it with the bearings pressed on?

Wade Lippman
09-17-2008, 11:15 PM
I checked with Byrd and anyone ordering bearings with the head will get them BOTH pressed on by Byrd. Often they can do just one but with this head they can do both.

So, it is necessary to order bearings as well as the head?
How much is it with the bearings?
(Why don't they just sell it that way?)

Brian Gumpper
09-18-2008, 5:30 PM
If you want to pull the old bearings off and put them on the new head you can certainly do that. Some folks just don't want to bother or the bearings are old enough that new ones couldn't hurt.

To order with bearings, just order both items and they'll come automatically pressed on. The adder for the bearings is $18.75 for the set, again both pressed on.

Brad Townsend
09-18-2008, 6:07 PM
For $18.75, buying with the bearings pressed on sounds like a no-brainer to me. Sometimes getting bearings off and on something can be pretty easy, but other times, it can be a major pain if one doesn't have the right tools for it.

Steven Almas
09-18-2008, 9:10 PM
Hey Brian, thanks for keeping us all updated. BTW, has Byrd given you a firmish date for when the next wave of heads will be shipped? I know you told me about 4 weeks, but I was wondering if you got an actual date they are shooting for.

I'm getting excited about this upgrade and can't wait to use it.

Brian Gumpper
09-19-2008, 9:27 PM
Been out of town, I'll call them Monday and find out.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-19-2008, 9:48 PM
Steven - I'm waiting to see how you like this upgrade.

Any chance you can run a "controlled experiement" to compare apples to apples? For instance - take some boards of different types and rip them in half. Run them through the 735 and mark them and the direction they went in and how much you took off. Then take the other half (from when you ripped them in half) and run them through with the Shelix head, taking off the same amount and in the same direction. Mabe even use different width boards.

It'd be interesting if you could note any difference in the performance, finish, noise, etc.

Mike Shields
09-24-2008, 2:06 PM
Any users able to report on the performance of these heads yet?

Steven Almas
09-24-2008, 3:03 PM
Mike, I'm still waiting on mine to be shipped. I was hoping Brian would hop back into the thread to give us a better idea of Byrd's backorder/production situation.

I will definitely post something once mine get delivered and installed.

Brian Gumpper
09-24-2008, 5:00 PM
They'll start shipping in about 3 weeks so no change there. Wish it was sooner but 4 weeks is typical when they run out of an item.

Steven Almas
09-24-2008, 5:28 PM
Thanks Brian. I guess with my luck it'll be delivered the same weekend as my daughter and wife's birthday and I'll have to put off playing with it for a while longer.

That reminds me, I have some gift shopping to do. It's both convenient and sucky to have 2 birthdays 1 day apart. I'll never forget the birthdays but have to shell out 2 the money for gifts.

Gary Click
10-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Any update on delivery?

Steven Almas
10-10-2008, 5:45 AM
Nope, still waiting. Per what I was told, I'm not expecting to see anything for a couple more weeks.

Anyone want to chime in?

Brian Gumpper
10-10-2008, 8:10 AM
I called yesterday and was told the first six will ship today. Steve, yours should be one of those six based on my purchase order submit dates and numbers.

I'm still waiting on firm delivery on the balance. Once I get the list of six shipped, those on the list will get a shipping confirmation. I'll try to get everyone else an expected date once I get it.

Steven Almas
10-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Cool, thanks for the heads up Brian.

Now unfortunately, I need to find some time. I have 3 Birthdays and a wedding in the coming weeks.

Gary Click
10-10-2008, 2:02 PM
Steve,

Stress can be damaging to your health. To lower the stress level I could trade places with you until you have more time.

Anything to help out.

Gary Click
10-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Received notice today that mine will ship next Friday!

Red Allen
10-15-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm new to the forum - but have read everything about the DW735 knives - thanks for the great information source.
I am having the "put about 6 boards through a new planer and now have lines symptom". When people had this, could you actually see anything on the knives? - I took all of the knives out and under high magnification I couldn't see anything - they looked maybe a bit better than the new knife on the other side. I did notice that the Back of one knife had a 1 inch region where the grease line was missing, as if it wasn't flat there. I flattened on a 8000 waterstone and will try tonight. The local DW service center was friendly, and said the knives should last longer - flip them over, and if it happens again, bring it in.

1. Are you seeing obvious chips in the blade when problems appear?
2. Has anyone had luck with honing when lines appear?
3. Are the Inifinity carbide blade available (web site says Oct20) - and if anyone has one, how do they work?
4. Are the first Shelix blades just coming out?

Please excuse me if I missed a posting with this answer - I searched and read for a couple of hours, lots of good experiences. Also - excuse if this should had been put in a general post - but this thread seems to be the DW735 experts.

Red (Steve) Allen

Mike Henderson
10-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Red - welcome to the forum!

I had problems with my first set of 735 blades. I contacted DeWalt and they sent me a new set and that set has held up much better.

The problem with the first set was that they got dull quickly - so dull that the wood wouldn't go through the planer - I'd have to push the wood through. I even did what you did, and honed the back of the blades to see if I could restore the edge.

I did not really have the problem of ridges, but maybe my standards are different than yours.

But anyway, since I got the new blades from DeWalt, I've put quite a bit of wood through the unit and the blades have held up. I haven't even flipped the blades over yet.

Caveat: I'm a hobbyist and not a professional cabinetmaker.

Mike

[Regarding the Infinity blades, I haven't used them, but I haven't heard anyone say that they lasted significantly longer than the stock blades. The Shelix blades are just coming out. We're all waiting for the first "real user" reports on them.]

Red Allen
10-15-2008, 5:34 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply.

I also saw that the "regular" Infinity knives were not necessarily
better than the standard Dewalt.

I couldn't quite tell if anyone has actually received the Infinity
Carbide knives - their web site says shipping on 20th of the month.
Also anxious to hear about the Shelix.

Red (Steve) Allen

Brian Gumpper
10-18-2008, 5:52 PM
Figured I would post a pic from a happy user.

http://www.holbren.com/misc/dw735.jpg

Chuck Tringo
10-19-2008, 2:10 AM
I read in a recent mag, FWW I believe, that Steel City has their lunchbox planer coming with a spiral head for about $750 starting to ship sometime in Nov....I personally like the Idea of SOMEONE ELSE installing my cutter head, and then warranting it for 5 years....though the byrd for the dewalt is great for those who already have one.

Brent Grooms
10-19-2008, 5:05 AM
mine is being installed this morning!!:D Picts to follow!

Andy Howard
10-22-2008, 8:26 PM
John,

I have a byrd head on my jointer and love it. I also have a DW735....so you can see where this is going.

As for the price. The larger planers have a larger diameter cutting head, which leads to more rows of inserts. The Dewalt model has 39 inserts (3 rows of 13). The Byrd head for a 15" stationary planer has 96 (6 rows of 16). At $3 an insert you are looking at $117 for the dewalt, vs. $288 for the 15" head for just the inserts. I would say that is the main reason the dewalt head is less.

And now that you got me crunching numbers, the 8" jointer head I bought was $350, with 56 inserts (+5 spares). If you go with a $3 cost per replacement insert, then right at 50% of the cost of the head is in the inserts. Likewise, the 15" planer head is $599 at Grizzly, and would have 101 inserts (96 + 5 spare) at a replacement cost of $303. Again, right at half. Hmm....now I am thinking the cost of the dewalt head is overpriced compared to the number of inserts it has. I will most likely get one, but it makes me wonder if they arent putting a premium on them.

Andy

To correct some wrong information that I posted. The cutterhead that I just received from Byrd has 4 rows of 10 instead of the previously thought 3 rows of 13. I dont know if Byrd changed their design, or they were showing a prototype at IWF, or I just saw the picture incorrectly?

I got mine with the bearings pressed on and it looks good. Of course you get it in a little wooden crate and Byrd always includes 5 extra cutters and a screwdriver with a Torx25 bit for changing inserts. They really do make good stuff.

Hopefully install it this week or next. Shop time is hard to come by these days.

Andy

Steven Almas
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Well, I got my Shelix yesterday but haven't had a chance to even open the mini-crate. Hopefully I'll get it installed over the weekend. More to come.

Thanks Brian and Holbren Co.

Clay Crocker
10-23-2008, 10:01 PM
My Shelix arrived yesterday too. :) Unfortunately I'm working in OH through the weekend and will not get home to see it until next week. :mad:

Clay

Mike Shields
05-26-2009, 10:09 AM
It's been several months, surely somebody has something to report!!

Craig Coney
05-27-2009, 9:02 AM
Sorry, I think we have been in awe of the cut quality and are trying to see just how many BF of stock we can push thru before dulling the cutters.

Here are a couple of links I found using the search.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94725
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97192

David Venditto
05-27-2009, 5:33 PM
Hello,

We've been offering carbide knives for the DeWalt 735 planer for almost one year and the feedback we've rec'd has been all positive. Our own testing has shown about 15x the life compared to the OEM HSS knives and about 12x the life compared to our HSS knives. On our shop DW735 test mule we've planed thousands of board feet (with a glass-smooth finish) and the knives are still going strong.

The carbide knives fit exactly like the HSS knives so there is no extra setup involved, a full switchover should take about 15 minutes. And we offer a sharpen service so you don't throw them away like the HSS OEM knives.

Please drop me a line if you have any specific questions or click the link below to read the reviews. FREE UPS shipping to lower 48 states and $10 off with code SPRING10.

Thank you,
David Venditto
Infinity Cutting Tools
email: info@infinitytools.com

http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CPJK-041