Ken Slemmer
09-11-2008, 8:26 AM
I have narrowed it down to four planers, so I think
Possibly add the Rigid 4330, as well.

Delta TP-305
DeWalt 734

Delta 22-580
DeWalt 735

I am a Neander most of the time but there are times when one needs power tools.
Hey, I am not in denial about it, I think

I need a planer that will surface material down to required thickness.

I’ve Searched SMC, spent much time reading the many questions and replies on Bench Planers. I am aware of the DeWalt 735 knife issue and extend tables.
The owners of the 735, who have had little problems it, generally like the planer.

I have a mini Fein vacuum, which will not cut it. Eventually, I plan to purchase a portable Dust Collector and Canister, but not now.

My question: Which unit would be best to use without a dust collector…?

The DeWalt 735 has a fan assisted ship ejector. Used with the Chip Collection accessory to dump in a trashcan. Which is nice but a $ 50.00 add-on, then another $ 50.00 for the extended tables. Ouch.

But the 735 answers my chip extraction problem. Then I have the knife problem, it’s a hit or miss with that issue.

Kind of leaning toward Delta 22-580. Not locked in as yet.

What I’ve read, any of the planers I am considering will not disappoint.
Most likely I will buy a refurbished one from Tool King. Especially, if it’s the DeWalt735.

Apologize for the long post…just wanted to present most of the facts.
Appreciate your opinions and experiences.

Ken

Mike McCann
09-11-2008, 8:41 AM
Ken

I have the dw735 and feel it is a great machine. For the chip extraction you need just a flexible hose and a garbage can and the fan really blows the chips.

Ken Slemmer
09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Mike, thank you for the reply.

Charles Lent
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I've had a DW735 for a little over a year, I'm still using the original blades, and I've easily run several hundred board feet of lumber, mostly hardwoods, through it. The blades haven't chipped yet, but are beginning to dull, although they are still cutting quite satisfactorily. I think that DeWalt may have gotten a bad batch of blades in the early days of the 735 and this is what caused all of their blade problems, but I believe that they have resolved this issue now. I will nevertheless be buying my replacement set from Infinity Tools because I've always liked the quality of their products. As for the chip collection, you definitely want the hose/filter assembly if you don't have a big dust collector to hook it to. If not, I strongly recommend that you only use the 735 outside, as it will blow chips everywhere without the collector hose and a big garbage can connected. You will also need the collector hose for use outside if you have nearby neighbors and wish to stay on speaking terms with them (it really blows chips everywhere without it). I put my 735 on a Delta miter saw/planer stand, which has infeed and outfeed rollers built into it, so the infeed and outfeed tables on the 735 aren't really necessary. I always use my 735 outside (with the chip collector), but when it's not in use, the Delta stand folds and rolls like a hand truck into my shop where it takes up very little room sitting upright in the corner. The stand is designed to balance the heavy 735 on end very nicely, and it's a very stable and easy to move and set up.

Charley

Fred Belknap
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Ken I have had the DW735 for a couple of years. I use mine with a 16gal ShopVac. It works fine as long as I remember to turn the shop vac on before I turn on the planer. They say not to use it with a shop vac but so far no problelm. I have to empty the vac pretty often as it fills up real quick. I turned the original bades over recently and they still work ok. The biggest problem is the blades get very fine nicks (from dirt or knots) and leave small tracks in board. A card scraper or sand paper easily removes it. I've never tried the garbage can trick.

Cary Falk
09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
I have the 22-580 and before I got a dust collector I ran a hose into a trash can with no problems. There was plenty of air forcing the chips out the end of the hose even though it didn't have a fan.

Joe Scharle
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a 735 with the bag/can attachment. Except on startup as the bag swells, the dust is minimal but I always wear a mask anyway. If you're going to install a DC system, the chip ejector shouldn't be a decision maker because you won't need it. Before the bag attachment arrived, I ran a dryer hose outside (25'). This thing will blow the dust! Sometimes I use it to blow out the shop.
Knives are a non-issue and I've had mine since they were $359.

Michael Sobik
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I have the DW735 and it's been a great machine. I wasn't aware there were any blade problems until I read this post, so I guess my blades are just fine :)

The chip blower is not a gimmick, it really blows the chips out. I usually use it with my mini cyclone and shop vac, but I'm sure it would be fine blowing into a trash can.

I purchased the accessory tables from Amazon, and feel that they were worth the money. DW should really include these with the machine.

Ken Slemmer
09-11-2008, 4:33 PM
Everyone, thank you for the input, it has helped me narrow the decision to the Delta 22-580 or the DeWalt 735. Also, thanks for the good suggestions as to setup for chip collecting.

Charles, I don’t have to worry about noise bothering the ones who live next to me…both sides. I will not get into the details but to say the wife and I do not talk to either of them.
It’s a shame.

Michael, I agree for the price of the DW735 the tables should be included.

Tool King has the reconditioned DW 735 at $ 419.00. If get the DW735 I will order the tables and collection bag from Amazon, free shipping.

Might be the way to go.