PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings from a Tool junkie.

Hilel Salomon
09-11-2008, 7:59 AM
Is there a group out there for compulsive tool buyers??? I am so stretched out by house repairs that I once again did what I generally do at such times: go into denial and start using my credit cards with abandon. As usual this points out the good, the bad and the ugly about dealers, reps and manufacturers. Long ago, I was advised to keep silent about the "uglies," so let me share with you the good experiences.
Used the Hartville tool sale to good advantage and got my goodies within a few days! They continue to excel. Woodchuckers' in Canada is always a pleasure!
Ordered stuff from Monster Tools and Thompson's, and it is nice to be able to talk with and learn from exceptionally responsible people. As usual, Oneway gives me a reason to buy their products. I had ordered their coring system from Hartville which didn't have the necessary block clamp, so I ordered it directly from Oneway. I got it, but it didn't fit my lathe so I called Oneway and they almost immediately sent me a replacement, with the new-carefully measured specs. This was in sharp contrast to the results coming from my other attempts at solving the problem. The truth is that woodworking and woodturning dealers are usually pretty efficient and nice, so outside of having to pay exorbitant finance charges, I'm happy.
Hope all of you are well,
Hilel.

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2008, 8:15 AM
Hilel - I really like tools... no photos???

Ken Fitzgerald
09-11-2008, 9:18 AM
The truth is that woodworking and woodturning dealers are usually pretty efficient and nice, so outside of having to pay exorbitant finance charges, I'm happy.
Hope all of you are well,
Hilel.

They are efficient and nice because they know....nothing worse that a tool junky having withdrawal symptoms...the shakes.....seeing snakes and spiders climbing the walls......Uh well.....you know Hilel..:rolleyes::D

Richard Madison
09-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Just say NO?

Don C Peterson
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Just say NO?

Heretic! :eek:

Reed Gray
09-11-2008, 12:14 PM
The worst thing about my tool buying recently is that my credit card company is giving me 10% back on everything I buy. Helped justify the cost of my Beauty.
robo hippy

Hilel Salomon
09-11-2008, 1:54 PM
If I could say "no" I wouldn't have such a hard time w/house repairs. I'm not just a compulsive tool buyer, but have 20,000 plus books, 2500 metal dogs etc. I just go into frenzies. My oldest son thinks that I should be committed, but he's also put dibs on my chainsaws (14), weedeaters (6) etc. I do shop for good prices and generally only buy quality stuff that , when pushed, I can resell without too much of a beating, but...
Steve, I'm in VA, so I can't upload any pictures, but I have been making bowls and funnels, several nested bowls and just finished a NE bowl. I'll post some of them when I return to Columbia, but in view of how terrible I am compared to you, I'm not sure about that. I will tell you how well I like some of the goodies I bought.

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2008, 7:02 PM
Hilel - I look forward to seeing some of your work when you get back to upload land! Bowls, funnels, whatever you have been turning would be great!

Scott Hubl
09-11-2008, 7:38 PM
I pay CASH for all my tools except were I have to use paypal and then I hand the CASH over to my wife and tell her pay it off ASAP.
Buying tools with credit cards is pretty foolish, on sale items become way more costly paying it off monthly and alot start paying minimum amounts and that Interest adds up QUICKLY on credit cards.

PAY CASH!;)

Andrew Derhammer
09-11-2008, 8:50 PM
I pay CASH for all my tools except were I have to use paypal and then I hand the CASH over to my wife and tell her pay it off ASAP.
Buying tools with credit cards is pretty foolish, on sale items become way more costly paying it off monthly and alot start paying minimum amounts and that Interest adds up QUICKLY on credit cards.

PAY CASH!;)
Not necessarily, my parent's use the credit card more as a check, they pay it off as soon as the bill comes and they pay no interest.

Mark Hix
09-11-2008, 9:09 PM
Tool junkie sounds so bad. I like to think of myself as running a home for homeless tools. I keep them off the streets and away from bad influences. Feed them a steady diet of sawdust and occasionally a sip of oil. The hard part is Harbor Freight opened 4 blocks up the street from the house and WC is 1/2 mile from the office. They all need a home.