PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

bob pfohler
09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I just got my new PLS 3.60 today. After setup I turned to the new computer and unfortunately it came with Vista.
The manual comes with instruction for installing the disk that contain the drivers for XP.
I searched the web and the Universal site and there is no mention of Vista. It late and my email to ULS probably won't be returned today. So, is there a download somewhere on the web for the Vista drivers?

Allen Isakson
09-11-2008, 5:47 AM
Bob, Did you try to load the new drivers. My laser was for xp also but again you cant buy a computer that is not vista anymore. I just put the driveres in and it had no issues with vista.

Mitchell Andrus
09-11-2008, 7:39 AM
you cant buy a computer that is not vista anymore.

Yes you can.... Dell offers an OS option that loads Vista and XP. XP runs normally, Vista is loaded and just sits on the drive for when you wish to switch over to it.

Mike Mackenzie
09-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Bob,

The drivers / software will load into both XP and Vista.

Bill Morrison
09-11-2008, 9:33 PM
Stay away from the big box stores and you can get computers that run windows XP, xp pro, linux and I bought one computer and had them load up windows 2000 since that is my favorite. That's what I use to run my Accuris laser. I use the xp Pro OS to run the shopbot It's the OS, not the manufacturer that lets you set a dual boot system. When I bought the accuris it didn't have a vista driver built yet.

oooops, getting way off topic, sorry

Bill

Bill Cunningham
09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Out of curiosity, I spoke to someone at Staples a week or so ago, and they will only sell machines with vista. And, if you switch to XP they tell you the warranty is void... Any 'real' computer shop will build you up a computer with XP or no OS at all, and you can load your own XP ..
I just have to find out how you mirror the H.D. operating system and all for when I go 'new' before the end of this year.. Can any one point me to a web site with this info?

Darren Null
09-12-2008, 8:26 AM
You can always run a 'virtual machine'. This is software that can run another operating system inside the one that you got stuck with when you bought your new computer.

http://www.virtualbox.org/
There are others.

Dan Hintz
09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Any 'real' computer shop will build you up a computer with XP or no OS at all, and you can load your own XP ..
This used to be true (up until a couple of months ago), but new XP licenses are no longer being offered by MS except to major builders (such as Dell). Shrink-wrapped boxes with unused XP licenses are becoming like gold as people realize they won't be able to get a hold of new ones.

Your best bet these days is to order from one of the bigger companies like Dell, go with no OS, or pay for MS's Developer Network and use the license keys from that (which is not cheap).