PDA

View Full Version : Leather

Gabriel Rangel
09-10-2008, 9:35 PM
Hello,
Does anybody know of a way to seal leather after burning the image on the leather. I used a product from a leather shop but you can still rub the black of the leather from the laser burning the leather. If any one has any idea.

thank you
Gabriel Rangel

Carrol Fleming
09-11-2008, 2:00 AM
I have used acrylic paint before but I must admit it was on dark leather and it was a small design. I did a number of leather girth extenders for prizes for a polocrosse tournament, the leather was dark and the engraving not very obvious so I rubbed in some copper acrylic paint, the paint washed off the unengraved leather easily and left a nice copper design but I stress, it was small and dark, not sure how pale leather would work.
Carrol

Mike Null
09-11-2008, 7:14 AM
I use natural colored paste wax before lasering, clean and re-wax after lasering.

There may be better ways but I have some pieces that are now several years old and still look good.

Brian Robison
09-11-2008, 8:05 AM
Good morning Mike,
Similar to Johnson's Paste Wax?

Daryl Barberousse
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Gabriel,

What type of leather are you using?

Jack Harper
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, being an old farm boy, we used saddle soap on all our leather gear to keep them soft, supple and water proof. Check with your local saddlery and see what they recommend.

Mike Null
09-11-2008, 3:15 PM
Brian

Yes, Johnson's or Minwax.

John Noell
09-11-2008, 3:18 PM
I use natural colored paste wax before lasering, clean and re-wax after lasering.
Mike, what do you do to clean it?

Mike Null
09-11-2008, 3:24 PM
I used a damp rag to remove the laser residue then re-waxed.

John Barton
09-11-2008, 7:56 PM
We mask with soap. Get the bar a little wet and make the top pasty. spread the paste on the leather and burn it. Then wash it off with a clean cloth. Sounds similar to the wax. I think I might like the wax idea better.

We cut and engrave veg tan among other types.

Gabriel Rangel
09-12-2008, 9:33 PM
This leather was goat I think do not remember

Darren Null
09-12-2008, 9:37 PM
Stupid question, I know, but I have a small brain. By 'mask', do you mean 'to cover the bit you don't want to be affected by the laser'.

Otherwise, what's the soap foam for'

Steven Wallace
09-12-2008, 11:49 PM
I have done leather items and use saddle soap after engraving as well as using neutral shoe/boot wax (polish)