PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Frieght Turning Tools?

Joe Suelter
02-14-2003, 2:22 PM
I'm sure most of you have read my posts below about my Brother's new(old) lathe. We got it running last night, and he asked me about some tools he saw at HF, the ad said they were HSS, and sold for around $30.00. I stopped by HF today & looked them over, and they don't look to bad, a little honing & light grinding might produce a good set of tools for a beginner. I told him not to purchase them yet, I wanted to see if anyone else has any knowledge of them. I'm a little skeptical of them actually being HSS, but I'm not sure how to tell the diffeence. I set one next to one of there carbon steel sets ($10.00 for a five piece set) and saw a big difference in the quality of the metal work. Has anyone seen these, used these, any advice on these...he can't afford a "good" set yet, as he wants to learn a little first. I'd also feel better about him practicing sharpening a 30 dollar set compared to a 200 dollar set. Let me know what you think. Thanks for any help you can give.

Keith Melick
02-14-2003, 3:23 PM
Joe

If you drop over to Badger Pond and search the archives you will find many references to the HF turning tools. I believe the general opinon is that they good for a beginner as they learn to sharpen and use their chisels.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-14-2003, 3:47 PM
Are those the high speed steel turning tools? If they are, they have gotten very good reviews over on BP. I'd go for them.

Joe Suelter
02-14-2003, 7:09 PM
Keith, just did, and found good reviews of them. Thanks.

Dennis, yes, they are the HSS tools. I think I'll send him over there to buy a set.

Thanks guys!

jim barter
05-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Joe / I know this is old news now as I'm sure he has chisels. In answer to your question of how to tell the difference betweeen high carbon(usually cheap) and high speed steel is to run the chisel on the grinder.High carbon steel will give you a shower of sparks and high speed will produce very little,you can almost count the sparks.
Jim Barter

Dennis Peacock
05-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Joe,

Go and get those tools. The are a nice set of tools to start and learn with. Learning to turn is not the saddening part.....it's GRINDING away those expensive turning tools that you just had to have to start out with.!! <b>DAMHIKT!!!!!</b>

Over $250 in really nice turning tools and they turn no better than the HF $30 set. I have turned with BOTH and as someone who "ain't no pro lathe turner"....the cheap tools are great to start with, grind away to nothing with and snap in to if that ever arises. Learn on less expensive tools first. I quickly learned that grinding away a $65 bowl gouge to a "stub" :eek: trying to learn how to sharpen it is very disheartening.

Start cheap and learn what tools you use most often. Later on? Buy NICE turning tools...but only of the tools you use a LOT.

You don't have to have a "Hum-V" just to get to work around the corner. :D

Off my "high-horse" now. :cool: :D

Kent Cori
05-19-2004, 9:46 AM
Another strong vote for the HF HSS tool set. At $30 it is truly a steal. I still use mine two years later.

Joe Suelter
05-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Wow, haven't seen this post in awhile! He and I both bought a set. They are a pretty decent set of tools for beginner turners!