PDA

View Full Version : Marking pieces

Ray Schafer
09-10-2008, 7:17 PM
What is the best thing to use to mark stock so that I will not mis-cut and, after cutting, I will know what the pieces are? I am, obviously looking for something that will be easy to see and easy to remove.

options that I can think of are:
- wax pencil
- pencil
- chalk
- tape

Steve Clardy
09-10-2008, 7:30 PM
Chalk sands off easily.

Or I use a piece of blue tape that is marked A, B, etc.

Per Swenson
09-10-2008, 7:40 PM
This should help.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88768&highlight=chalk

Per

Jim Becker
09-10-2008, 8:14 PM
I use chalk for rough markings and for identification of components up to final milling. But then I generally use pencil marks/codes...and sometimes blue tape. Whatever works to keep me from making a big mistake....if only it would work 100% of the time. Sheesh!:o

Peter Quinn
09-10-2008, 9:07 PM
I never got the chalk thing. One swipe and my nice codes have become illegible garble. I use pencils on light wood, artists pencils on dark wood (white or tan). I use lumber wax crayons to mark up ends and faces for rough milling, but only mark things that will be milled or cut off with the wax crayons.

My pencil marks tend to get lighter as my parts get towards their final state so they can be erased or sanded off easily.

Mark Singer
09-10-2008, 9:22 PM
I use prisma color pencils to identify pieces, Where they are used front , back, join at this edge etc. Pencil for dimesioning. Marking knife for joinery.

glenn bradley
09-11-2008, 12:40 AM
Chalk on dark woods, blue tape on light woods.